XFCE keyboard shortcuts don't work while dropdowns are visible

I am running Manjaro XFCE with the latest updates, including the big ones that were released yesterday.

XFCE keyboard shortcuts don’t work while dropdowns are visible. For example, if I display the whisker menu and press printscreen, a screenshot is not added to my clipboard. If I do the same while any native dropdown widget is open in any software, third-party or otherwise, the screenshot is also not added then. If I don’t have a dropdown visible, my keybinds work again.

This is not a new issue as of yesterday. It has been present since I switched from Windows to Manjaro 2 weeks ago.

How can I fix this? Is there an alternative global keybinding system that is GUI-configurable that doesn’t have limitations?

No idea what you mean… when i press Print i get this window, where i can choose what to do what the screenshot:

Even if whisker is open or any other app.

Create a shortkey with:

xfce4-screenshooter -c

and it should work.

man xfce4-screenshooter

Ok i see a limitation, that you can only use 2 function keys. That means Print is a function key. You can use Print with other function keys like: CTRL ALTSUPER , but not with other keys, while CTRL ALTSUPER can be use with letters. I guess this is a made by design this way to keep it simple.

I can reproduce this. Unfortunately no solution.

Cant take screenshot when an application menu is open https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12323

The work around:

1. Start the Screenshot application
  2. Set a Delay
  3. Click ok
  4. Go to the window you want to capture and expand a menu.

This worked for me. The “Print Screen” button did not.

GIMP has a screen capture menu item under File > Create > Screenshot.... Sometimes it is nice to be able to add text or bullets to a screen capture, but of course you can do this with XFCE screenshot too via Open With....

Hope this helps.

1 Like

thanks @stargazer

Adding this here also: x11 - Why keyboard shortcuts do not work when a sub-menu is activated? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

Seems to be an xserver issue for a long time. But it has never been an issue for me. Sorry that i misunderstood you :slight_smile:

Thank you for reproducing the issue, and for the external links.

I’m not sure using a delay is an acceptable solution, but I may resort to that eventually if the issue persists.

What I’m looking for now is an alternative global keybind system that works around the issue directly. I’ll keep searching.