XFCE is the greatest

In my experience
KDE is fat and unstable
Gnome is fat and unstable, also very strange
That’s why I use Xfce

6 Likes

Neither thing I can seem to agree with.
KDE and XFCE resource use is pretty comparable too.

1 Like

Plasma shell is constantly bloated, about 200 megabytes per day.
KDE is more demanding on the CPU and video card, even if turn off all effects.

1 Like

Then you should not install it on your Amiga … scnr

so … you have runaway processes that grow over time?
Thats not normal.
My plasma easily boots into 400-500mb memory … and it doesnt grow.
XFCE might be able to beat that by 50-100mb … but the gap isnt very wide these days.

I’ve made about 4 attempts on different distributions to switch to KDE since 4.6, the result is always the same: fat and unstable.

you can keep repeating that … but you provide no evidence to counteract the experience (and data) to the contrary.
“your attempts” could be flawed. I dont know.
Point is - KDE is not unstable, nor fat. (and at least its default compositor isnt crap)
Please… do share the output of … even something as simple as free in your ‘slim’ XFCE … we can compare.

[here we have a clean reboot … I didnt go crazy trying to remove extra stuff either … this is just my normal desktop even including a handful of extra things I dont need at all]

Dont get me wrong… use whatever you want. If you have a preference … go with that.

Just dont go spouting unfounded falsehoods as if they are facts.

It makes no sense, what is there to compare? At startup, KDE consumes less RAM than Xfce, but after 4 days of up time, Plasma’s single process alone takes 700-900 mb.

If you want the generally accepted facts: KDE developers broke everything when moving from version 3 to 4, and a lot of things from version 4 to 5.
This says a lot about the rest of the development as well.

Except thats not normal.
I have never seen that on any plasma I administer.
(different builds, different times, amd or intel, etc)

A whole overhaul I would expect some annoyances on the first iteration.
I couldnt stand old KDE … after plasma 5 settled I tested it and its been solid since.

And I suppose this means you are abandoning the old claims and have now degenerated to “well it appears the development cycle might be less than perfect” … which is a generalized wishy-washy statement at best … and also a bit funny considering plasma dev is usually celebrated.

Ah well. As I said if you like XFCE use it.
But that doesnt mean KDE is inherently broken by comparison.