XFCE desktop version 4.16 is released

On www.distrowatch.com XFCE desktop version 4.16 is released.

Moderator edit

Here is a full article

Quote:

2nd mod-edit: linked to official news

2 Likes

Can you please edit the link to the relevant article instead of the main page, your post “as-is” is no different as just an advertisement for a website thanks…

Distrowatch is not an advertisement page.

Why not link to the main source?

Xfce has its own website. It is announced there too.

https://www.xfce.org/about/news/

1 Like

Google is not either right? :roll_eyes: :face_with_head_bandage:
(never mind a moderator fixed the need for clicks…)

And its in the Arch Linux testing repos
Has helped packing the new Mousepad and done Swedish translations this release

1 Like

Wow, that was pretty fast, considering that it took more than 4 years to get XFCE 4.14 from XFCE 4.12, and a little bit less than 3 years to go to XFCE 4.12 from XFCE 4.10.

Source: News – Xfce 4.16 released – Xfce 4.14 released – Xfce 4.12 released – Xfce 4.10 released – Xfce 4.10pre2 released – Xfce 4.10pre1 released – Xfce 4.8 released – Xfce 4.8pre3 released – Xfce 4.8pre2 released – Xfce 4.8pre1 released – Xfce 4.6.2 released – Xfce 4.6.1 released – Xfce 4.6.0 released – Xfce

Should one now rely on Xfce at all (because of the low developer capacities) and go straight to KDE or GNOME? Xfce seems to me, despite all the beuerungen also something TOO hung up. Seems to me, like a relic from the previous millennium. Does it still bring what, to get firmly involved in it?

Uhmm maybe i’m a prehistoric relic also then, because i recently switched from KDE to XFCE :wink:

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: XFCE is the greatest

Count also me, as prehistoric relic :smiley:

Anyway, to back in topic:
What worries me of the upcoming Xfce 4.16 is the built-in/forced CSD…
I totally dislike CSD.

In facts, currently (since I installed Manjaro two years ago) I 'm using/replaced gtk3 with gtk3-classic: AUR (en) - gtk3-classic

Would someone can say that will works again with Xfce 4.16?
Otherwise the B plan will be Xfce-classic: GitHub - Xfce-Classic/libxfce4ui-nocsd: libxfce4ui fork with CSD removed

2 Likes

Next year, everthing will be better.
:christmas_tree:

1 Like

Can you help this relic to update my internet vocabulary, what does CSD stand for?

1 Like

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/CSD

If you use some GNOME applications, it should be familiar, even if you did not know the term.

1 Like

Pamac :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh okay, i’ve never been a Gnome user :wink:

I was about to post the Wikipedia article; you beated me! :slight_smile:
However, for TriMoon, for the sake of completeness:

They are also applyed to GTK applications; in facts, as @Ros pointed, Pamac as GTK app, is afflicted by CSD.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13689

1 Like

Yep ! I’m a one : I’m a fan of “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”

One can do whatever he want’s with Xfce and this for years.
I don’t like the W$ or Gnome idea of “software tells your process” : on XXIrst century, a software should bend to user’s needs & tastes.
(I’m talking about users, not customers : customers buy the soft & the process, coz they consume).

4 Likes

Linux is about choice. There is no requirement that you use what I do… KDE, xmonad, ratpoison, gnome, xfce… choice. Enjoy the variety.