[XFCE desktop] Firefox switching tabs, Ctrl + Shift + Tab doesn't work

Hello!

I’m used to switching between tabs in Firefox by using Ctrl + Shift + Tab (backward) or Ctrl + Tab (forward) and I dislike (very much) to the new Ctrl + Tab to choose tab. I’ve installed Google Chrome (AUR) and Ctrl Shift Tab work just fine.

So, what can I do to use Ctrl + Shift + Tab in Firefox?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Problem was solved! @ bill_t

I don’t use either Firefox or xfce so can’t test, but I suspect that might be because xfce (your window manager/DE) has grabbed those keystrokes for its own use in its keyboard settings/shortcuts - DE’s usually have precedence over apps if I am not mistaken…

So check the xfce key bindings. (and you could also use Ctrl+Page Up instead)…

I’m using Xfce 4.13 and Firefox 63.0.1, but I am not able to reproduce the issue. As @lagagnon said check your keyboard shortcuts in keyboard-settings and xfwm4-settings (though the default settings do not contain this keybinding as far as I can remember)

Crtl + Tab switches Tabs forward
Crtl + Shift + Tab switches Tabs backward
Ctrl + t opens new tab

Type about:config in the address bar of Firefox, press Enter and search for the entry browser.ctrlTab.recentlyUsedOrder in the search bar.

Set it to false and give the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Tab another try.

7 Likes

This is the right answer. It worked! Thanks!

1 Like

That’s apparently a new feature introduced in Firefox 63.0 according to the release notes https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/63.0/releasenotes/

It’s even easier to change this behaviour:
Edit > Preferences > Uncheck Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order

5 Likes

I click for you the “solved” button :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by