Xfce doesn't boot if display is not connected on Raspberry PI

after installing Manjaro Xfce on a Rasperry, I note that if my tv is not connected as display system doesn’t boot, no way to ping it or ssh.

any option as I would like to use with no display attached??

I couldn’t find any info via internet search. It’s hard to find out what’s happen without been able to see the errors! Though there is probably a boot log somewhere.

I have a xfce machine that boots without monitor, it is a x86 machine though.

What happens if you plug in the display after trying to boot the machine?

You’re running on an ARM architecture that has its own specific challenges.

I’ve therefore taken the liberty of reclassifying your post into the #arm category so that the ARM experts can have a look at this.

Interesting I just tested this and does not happen here. I have not run across any one having this issue. What is the out put of:

pacman -Ss raspberrypi-bootloader

And the output of:

sudo rpi-eeprom-update

And post the contents of /boot/config.txt

1 Like
# See /boot/overlays/README for all available options

gpu_mem=64
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
kernel=kernel8.img
arm_64bit=1
enable_gic=1
disable_overscan=1

#enable sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

#enable vc4
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[antonio@xcfemanjaro ~]$ pacman -Ss raspberrypi-bootloader
core/raspberrypi-bootloader 20201008-1 [installato]
    Bootloader files for Raspberry Pi
core/raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20201008-1 [installato]
    Bootloader with extra codecs for Raspberry Pi
[antonio@xcfemanjaro ~]$ 
[antonio@xcfemanjaro ~]$ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
[sudo] password di antonio: 
BCM2711 detected
Dedicated VL805 EEPROM detected
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: gio 3 set 2020, 12:11:43, UTC (1599135103)
 LATEST: gio 16 apr 2020, 17:11:26, UTC (1587057086)
 FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000138a1
 LATEST: 000137ad

tnx for help

as soon as I plug the display, Raspberry boots…furthermore it happens only with Majaro XCFE and not for example with Raspbian or Majarp DE

How do you connect the TV exactly?

I.E. if you have a PI Zero, does your Pi’s HDMI port contain some kind of adapter and do you connect the TV to the adapter instead of straight into the HDMI port?

Please be specific.

the problem is that is not booting when disconnected, i.e. how I connect the tv is not important imho

It could be if you are leaving the adapter plugged in if you are using one.

Your pi4’s eeprom could stand to be updated but I do not believe that is the issue as no one here has reported your issue and a ton of people set up a new image via headless via ssh.

1 Like

The fact that he is able to boot with other OS’s seems to me something is going on with his end. The DE should not be a factor. The /boot files are the exactly the same as Pi OS’s. Even the kernel is the same with some extra modules enabled.

Well I’ve found that I have met the same issue. I was on i3wm, after a recent update it’s not booting. At first shot I did not think much, just wiped and installed the latest manjaro KDE and got it fully updated, but it remained the same. Now I guess the reason is related to some rpi4 box(e.g., argon one v2 case), but I cannot desolder it to the original state for now to test it out.

1 Like

could it be something to do with lightdm and XFCE?, what stage is the boot process at when monitor is connected?

Here is a problem with XFCE and lightdm on Ubuntu

Although I do not use i3wm or KDE like you I have no issue with XFCE. So far no one else has reported you issue with the latest updates. There has been issues in the past with not booting when display is not connecting but RPi has fixed and pushed commits.

I would suggest adding a config in config.txt to force a monitor config. I have to do this with my monitor or my boot will fail. I never boot my pi4 headless. My config:

hdmi_mode:0=39         # change to fit your monitor
hdmi_group:0=2         # change to fit your monitor
hdmi_force_mode:0=1
hdmi_ignore_edid:0=0xa5000080