VSync and small input lag when using nVidia card (prime-run)

Hello, I have a problem, this only happens in XFCE and GNOME Manjaro. When I play the games I see a slight input lag and vsync. It’s weird, because game shows fps ABOVE 60 (my screen refresh rate) but i don’t see any screen tearing (perfectly smooth motion) and I feel the input lag. I don’t understand why, but this is not happening in KDE (I can see screen tearing in KDE and there is no input lag). So how can I disable this weird vsync? I know it sounds weird, but I want to play games with screen tearing and with no input lag. And also, i’m a begginer in Linux so please explain carefully.

Drivers: video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
GPU’s: Intel integrated and nVidia GeForce 840M dedicated.
Kernel: Linux 5.8.3-2

I don’t know about hybrid drivers, but if I execute

nvidia-settings

I can turn that on and off here:

2020-09-05_21-34

(I’m on pure nvidia though)

mhwd --listinstalled
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    video-nvidia-440xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI

Sorry, but i use the optimus manjaro 450 driver, and i dont have these options :confused: Intel is drawing things on the screen, like web browser and nvidia is rendering. I wonder why this happens only on manjaro xfce.

I tested out, and the input lag is small, so maybe it’s not vsync, but im wondering, why there’s no screen tearing, like, the game runs smooth and it’s showing that is rendered by nvidia.

Some options (like VBlank syncing) can be controlled via environmental variables: Chapter 11. Specifying OpenGL Environment Variable Settings

1 Like

Ok this is an idea, but this isn’t working as a steam game argument. I mean, when im doing “prime-run env __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 glxgears” it shows fps above 2k, without this it shows 60fps. The problem is, that it doesn’t change anything to the games. As i said, fps’s in game are high, the problem is that i can’t see screen tearing and there’s the input lag.

Its not working when im inserting it as runner command, could you tell me how do i make it global? For every program.

sudo nano --backup /etc/environment

That’s where global variables go…

:innocent:

P.S. Might need a log-off/log-on or a reboot to get activated; haven’t tested that…

thanks, it worked :slight_smile:

You’re welcome… I just told you how to create global variables, but @pobrn told you what the variables were and where to find them, so I changed the solution to his answer as that will be more helpful to the next person having the same problem as you!

:wink: :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.