Xbox One S controller calibration

I was stupid enough to initialize the "Calibrate" in the Settings-Input Devices-Joystick for my Xbox One S bluetooth controller and it kind of ■■■■■■ it up. How can I remove the calibration / calibrated profile?

Problem is that for some reason when calibrating the axises(?) kind of goes from -32767 to 0 or from 0 to 32767, but never from -32767 to 32767.

I mean like it asks me to calibrate the first X axis, I move the analog stick to the left I get -32767, cool. it asks me to move it to center, I get 0, it asks me to move it to right, I get 0 (ZERO) and it doesn't increase it at all. Same with all other axises on other sticks.

before calibration it worked kind of OK. at least it did go from -32767 to 32767...

search where this calibration is saved, delete it, pair the xbox controller as a new device.

in which settings? DE? steam?

if it's steam it's likely in ~/.local/share/steam somewhere, otherwise i would assume it's something between udev and xboxdrv

KDE.. weirdly enough when I disconnected and reconnected the controller the bad calibration was vanished ...

there ya go, it treated it as a new device. maybe dont use KDE for calibration :sweat_smile:.

i think there are GUI utilities that are made for xbox controllers. sc-controller is meant for steam controllers but it also has layouts for xbox/ds4 controllers as well. just enable xbox support in it's settings.

after using a steam controller for a few days i dont think i could go back the xbox or ds4 controllers though i could really do without the "clicks" that people seem to adore so much in keyboards and buttons. drives me nuts :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I'm starting to think KDE isn't good for anything at this point.
Can't even calibrate controller correctly ( https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408884 ); can't setup locales correctly (lets you setup such locales that you don't have in GUI, so everything breaks) ; doesn't save display settings at all ( https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406485 ); can't handle multiple locales at the same time ( https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406097 ); installs by default absolute garbage software like KDE connect and Calligra Office and other 3rd grade nonsense; always default install network is NO auto negotiate half-duplex (at least now for me 4 out of 4 installations in 4 different computers with different network NICS from 3 different vendors (Marvell; Intel; Realtek). some of you said you didn't have this problem... but my statistics show it's BS.) Any other DE significantly less buggy in those scenarios?

it's KDE, it's users will never admit it but it's a buggy mess, but it looks so pretty which is what really matters.

i liked using KDE but not because it was "pretty" but because i love solving problems and KDE always provided plenty of those, nothing serious but many little things that add up that i could never explain or find answers to, for example:

spending hours customizing themes/looks of everything to my liking only to reboot and find it's like i was never there. not just a few settings, all of them! over and over as if i had been using a read-only live environment. (i wasnt btw).
this mysteriously stopped happening a few days after installing for the most part but still certain settings would randomly decide they didnt like where they were and so decide to try something else :sweat_smile:.

the wifi issues for some reason seem to be a lot more common for KDE users, for me i just had to wait 20-30 seconds for wifi to fail to connect and then it would retry again and connect as it should of the first time. this was not a big deal since it did work after all.

pulseaudio regardless of how the configuration files are setup would revert to defaults every time audio or video was paused, so every time i had to pause or the next track started playing i then had to open pulseaudio equalizer and cycle it off/on for the EQ to work. eventually after seeing red for days of frustrating BS i tripped over the solution which is more a workaround of restarting pulseaudio in user mode (as it should be anyway but is not) systemctl --user restart pulseaudio. this has only happened to me with KDE.

KWIN and nvidia, well waking from suspend looked like my desktop on acid, nothing short of restarting KDE's session or rebooting fixed it, restarting kwin did nothing. waking from suspend was just something i did right before i rebooted (not by choice).

i could go on for days but, yeah it's pretty. (it was before i got rid of it anyway)