Manjaro 20.3 Xfce. Installed x11vnc and created the following service:
[Unit]
Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
Requires=lightdm.service
After=lightdm.service

[Service]
#Type=forking
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -display WAIT:0 -many -nevershared -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -xkb -norc -noxrecord -noxdamage -nomodtweak 
ExecStop=/usr/bin/x11vnc -R stop
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=2

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

For some reason that escapes me, I can only connect to the vnc after I’ve entered the password on the greeter in physical machine, what kind of defeats the purpose of setting the service.
What am I missing?

EDIT: so it seems ALL services I enable with systemctl are only available once I log in in the greeter of the local host. I can only ssh the machine after I log into it locally! :frowning:

Try to set an earlier target here.

I changed those targets to multi-user.target.
Still no fun.
As a subpar workaround, I’ve set lightdm to auto-login and it allowed me to make one further discovery:
If the computer screen locks, the physical machine displays the lightdm greeter, and the vnc client, while still connected, displays black and input has no effect.
If I unlock the physical machine, the vnc resumes as nothing has happened.

I’ve confirmed through htop the vnc service belongs to root.

My guess is that lightdm locks you out from the display. You can try to install tigervnc and use x0vncserver instead. As an alternative, you also have NoMachine, but that’s a different beast.