Wrong layout printing in landscape mode

Hi.

I’m unable to print in landscape layout. Instead of a vertical print along the height of the page, the image/text comes out horizontally in the middle of the page.

This happens since I run an update on November 4th.
Has anyone experienced this and knows how to solve it?

Some packages that might be involved, from the update log:

upgraded libcups (1:2.4.6-1 → 1:2.4.7-2)
upgraded cups-filters (1.28.17-4 → 2.0.0-1)
upgraded cups (1:2.4.6-1 → 1:2.4.7-2)
installed libppd (2.0.0-1)
installed libcupsfilters (2.0.0-1)

I’m willing to try a downgrade and see what happens but I don’t keep older packages. Is there a repo for older packages?

Thanks,
João

Hi @joaovidal

You haven’t mentioned which application(s) you’re trying to print from that produce this result. Also, please provide the output of:

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

This may help someone identify an issue. Also, be prepared to offer more information as needed when someone asks for it, as others will likely need it to help further. Good luck.

Hi @soundofthunder

I put the inxi output under this link, since it’s very long: inxi-output - Google Drive

As for the application, it’s Gwenview, printing ‘landscape layout’ images.

Just FYI, there is a somewhat similar-sounding, recent KDE bug report, but unfortunately no fixes or workarounds yet.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=475937

Thank you @Takakage.
I’m now following that bug. I’ll post back if there’s news.

If you use the </> symbol in the toolbar, the content is placed within a scrollable Preformatted Text box. [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text tells you more about that.

I can’t seem to replicate the issue here;
Gwenview 23.08.3-2; KDE Plasma 5.27.9; Wayland; AMD RX580; and using kernel 6.1.63.

Gwenview prints as expected using the landscape layout, both to printer and pdf. Cups related versions are identical to yours:

• cups/ libcups 1:2.4.7-2
  • cups-filters/ libppd/ libcupsfilters 2.0.0-1

I note the reported Gwenview bug relates to v23.08.1 on Fedora.

Could you verify your Gwenview version?

pacman -Si gwenview

Update:- I have now performed the Stable Update 2023-12-01 on this machine and Gwenview still prints landscape as expected.

I don’t know what to suggest.

Thanks for the tip on posting on scrollable boxes! I actually used it in the past but forgot about it.

I updated Gwenview from 23.08.01 to 23.08.02, but the problem remains.
And although Okular prints PDFs correctly, it prints images incorrectly just like Gwenview.

I’ll just follow the bug thread on KDE. I suggest people interested in this topic do the same.

I’m tempted to think that KDE bug report is only coincidental. If the issue is not commonly reproducable using the same versions of Gwenview, and cups, then the problem lies elsewhere. Printer driver, maybe. You might try prompting the author of the bug repost for more specific information. From what I can tell the main differences seem to be:

Kernel Version: 6.5.7-300.fc39.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland

You could try the new 6.6 kernel; or using Wayland, if you’re feeling adventurous (for the sake of comparison):

sudo pacman -Syu wayland-session