Working solution to install Manjaro (KDE 17.0.1 / 17.0.2) with legacy bios

After struggling during 3 days to install the KDE edition into an old laptop with only Legacy (non UEFI) option, and after multiple reboot faillure (system not found) when trying to boot following an apparently installation, I have found a solution working for me… so maybe also for others.
Just want to share it…
After installing, I boot with a GParted USB and saw that Calamares did not flagged any partition as boot. I first re-installed and flagged the Ext4 first (and main) partition build by Calamares. It did not help.
So I did the following: I installed another distro (nevermind the name) which uses another installer, and I could boot without issue. Then I rebooted with the Manjaro installer and manually installed Manjaro while reformating but keeping the partitions builded by the other distro. AND IT WORKED.
The whole schema is as following :
SDA1: Ext4, flag as Boot - 255 Mb
SDA2: Ext4, flag as Root - the rest of my HD apart the Swap
SDA3: Extended
SDA5: Swap (inside Extended) - 3.2 Gb
I add a screenshot of the partitions below

I believe others schemas would work also, but this is definitively a working solution for me with Legacy bios.

1 Like

This does not affect only bios installs.
It is a bug that has bitten me on EFI aswell.
An easier solution would be to simply reboot your install media after installation. Then use the live environment to launch an application like Gparted to append the necessary flag to the corresponding partition. Reboot.

Also. With bios, and using a single install, there is no need for a seperate /boot partition. Just Root " / " with flags root,boot. Swap can also be a primary partition.

Yes, you are right and this is what I have first try (reboot with Gparted USB disk and flag the only Ext4 partition as Root)… but I don’t know why, it didn’t work for me. Anyway if it works - and it should - it’s a simpler solution. But in any case the important is to achieve the goal and to have a bootable Manjaro :slight_smile:
EDIT : Sorry… I am confused… it was not with Gparted that I tried this the second time : I did boot with the install media and chrooted… but as I wrote: it did not work for me, so I ended with the solution I offer in the first post.

You can also use command and works also when partition is mounted (meaning from the OS itself).

sudo parted /dev/sda set 1 boot on

ps: tested it recently when a poster said he required boot flag.
‘1’ above is the partition to put the flag on.

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks.

Welcome, FYI, in my case, it boots okay anywhere I put the flag; in one of my data partitions where I don’t mount, for example.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by