Wonky i3 external monitor issue

$ inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-3612QE (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 1440/1200/3100 MHz Kernel: 5.11.22-2-MANJARO x86_64
Up: 4d 17h 6m Mem: 6904.8/15828.4 MiB (43.6%) Storage: 465.76 GiB (19.3% used) Procs: 303 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.06

I have a X230 laptop that I run a displayport to an external monitor sometimes. Although the ouput works fine, like no issues with connectivity or sound, the i3 wokspaces get pinned to the external monitor after each use.
For example, currently whenever I plug in the displayport and tell arandr to activate the display, i3 workspaces 7 & 8 will automatically get displayed on the external display. These are 2 workspaces that I have used on the display in the past.
How do I stop them fro automatically getting pinned to the external display?
I have done no customized configuration to the .i3/config for the workspace section.

To me this seems like a XFCE thing. I remember having some issue with an external monitor where there was a setting in the panels where you had to actually specify which monitor to display the panel on. I would end up with the panel automatically being displayed on the external vice to laptop screen where I wanted it.

Thanks in advance! Also, thanks for putting together such a nice balance of i3 and xfce. This is absolutely my go-to flavor and distro!

yeap, it’s a great combo.

i use xfce as the main & i3-gaps for the windows.
you just set xfwm & xfdesktop to never, then put i3 to autostart.
most of my i3 config is commented out since i’m using xfce4 settings.

i3 is my default wm already. Maybe I missed what you were saying?

i’m saying flip it, make xfce the default & add i3 to it.
then you can use the xfce display settings.

sounds like you logged out & selected i3 at log in.

i’m logged into xfce session with i3/nitrogen in autostart & xfdesktop/xfwm disabled.

i3 is serving as window manager
nitrogen sets my background.

your just replacing 2 elements of xfce for your choice, but you still keep all the xfce goodness.

1 Like

I see what you are saying. I’m digging my setup though, just stock manjaro i3. I know that display setting is in a config file somewhere though…

i’m pretty sure you can do it the other way to.
i think you would just need to add xfsettingsd to the i3/config as a startup app, the you can use the display manager.

I have some xfce settings installed:

extra/xfce4-settings 4.16.2-1 (xfce4) [installed]

What packages do you recommend?

yea, that contains the xfsettingsd daemon that restores what ever changes you make in xfce apps.