Wireguard-lts: target not found

I have wireguard-dkms, and ofc wireguard-tools and linux54-headers installed and the wireguard module is rebuilt for use everytime there is an update. I am unsure how to force a rebuild of this module, maybe it’s a mkinitcpio thing.

Kernels past >5.8 have the wireguard already baked in.

However @pretzelbrain you seem awfully confrontational towards people trying to help you.

Edit: Dynamic Kernel Module Support - ArchWiki
Build module, generate initramfs, update grub, reboot. All the information is there, we can’t make a package reappear.

So, because it’s not glitchy on your system, nobody else could possibly be having problems?

OKAY.

Btw… according to kernel.org, the EOL for 5.10 is in 2022, whereas 5.4 is good until 2025.

Have a look at the Arch wiki page regarding Wireguard. It says:

For Linux kernels < 5.6 additionally install the appropriate kernel module: (not needed when using the default linux package)

Stating the obvious and/or gaslighting somebody isn’t exactly helpful…

Never said that.

I said it’s SET to be the nest LTS when 5.11 is released.

Being courteous and polite however is sure to make people want to help you more than the opposite.

Good luck with your issue.

1 Like

OK, know what?
I was only trying to help, mainly because I like Wireguard myself. But if that’s your attitude, I’m done.

Have a good day!

I think he was referring to me.

I don’t care, to be honest.

1 Like

Kernel 5.10 actually has a lot of issues. It’s been reported multiple times on this forum and other forums. And also reported multiple times on Freedesktop GitLab. Some people are just lucky that it works 100% with their hardware.

@pretzelbrain , when asking for help on the forums, please stay polite, regardless of other people’s comments. If you are aggressive, no one is going to want to help you. Certain people might not give answers you like, but others can chime in throughout the day.

Unfortunately, I do not know what gpg key they use to import. Other option is to skip the signature check, but I don’t know how to do that. There is a way to totally ignore all signature checks by editing the pacman.conf file. You can try doing that temporarily for that one package, then remove the edit:

(I would typically not recommend ever skipping signature checks, but this is a special case)

OK, I believe you. I just don’t have any problems whatsoever.

Edit:
As I mentioned, I do not experience any glitches, but I know my experience and other people’s might differ. I’m not calling anyone a liar. I just said I didn’t know, because, well, because I don’t know. Not to be aggressive.

Also, just an FYI to everyone, linux-lts is currently Kernel 5.4 in BOTH Arch and Manjaro. wireguard-lts is needed for this, I do not know why the package was removed from Manjaro.

Package requested.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you mean it’s needed for wireguard-lts as I’m sure the kernel would be fine, either with it or without it. :yum:

I’ll try explaining what I think is the issue here.

You are on linux54 because linux510 is not stable enough for you. That’s fine.
And you want to use a kernel module, that is not packaged in Manjaro for linux54.

wireguard-lts is in the Arch repo’s, because it follows the Arch linux-lts package, which does not exist in Manjaro.
This means that you will have to build that module yourself. The easiest way to build kernel modules in Arch/Manjaro is by using DKMS. Thankfully, there’s a dkms module package for wireguard, called wireguard-dkms

Installing wireguard-dkms will build the wireguard kernel module for the kernels you have installed. Just be sure that you have the kernel headers that match your kernel, eg linux54-headers if your kernel is linux54.

3 Likes

First of all, Arch has their own kernel packages, linux (latest stable) and linux-lts (latest LTS) . Manjaro has it’s own versioned kernel packages. Our linux-lts is a meta package and has no relation to the Arch package.

We don’t import the wireguard-lts package because it depends on Arch’s linux-lts. If you have our linux-lts meta package installed and you want to install wireguard-tools with the kernel modules, you would do the following:

pamac install wireguard-tools && pamac install --as-deps wireguard-dkms linux-lts-headers
3 Likes

linux-lts got added to Manjaro recently iirc. Because it keeps trying to replace my kernel 5.8 (that I haven’t removed yet) with linux-lts when I upgrade.

Branch Compare says linux-lts is 5.4-4

That’s not the Arch package. linux-lts is a meta package in Manjaro, making sure the user rolls to the newest LTS kernel available, without doing it manually. It does not serve the same purpose.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Maybe we should rename this meta package? It can cause confusion because I noticed that linux-lts comes up on a number of Arch Wiki pages, and a lot of Manjaro users reference the Arch Wiki.

Remember, Arch is not Manjaro and Manjaro is not Arch. Not everything in the Arch wiki applies to Manjaro.

Couldn’t @pretzelbrain install the client package that’s on TorGuard’s website? It also has browser extensions, which wouldn’t need any system installation.

https://torguard.net/downloads.php