Wireguard-lts: target not found

Where did it go? I switched to the 5.4 kernel for a while because I’m on a Thinkpad T440P and feel as if I don’t really need the latest & greatest, plus I just like the fact that it’s supported till 2025 and don’t like to make a lot of changes to my system. Anyhow, I need wireguard-lts for Torguard vpn, but it seems to be gone.

Torguard has wireguard-tools as an optional dependency, could it be that you are mistaken?

Mistaken about what? wireguard-lts can’t be installed, and I need it because Torguard will not connect with wireguard without it.

cj@thinkpad ~]$ sudo pacman -S wireguard-lts
[sudo] password for cj: 
error: target not found: wireguard-lts

Well there is no such package and the Torguard AUR package has wireguard-tools as a dependency.

What makes you think it needs wireguard-lts, where does it say so?

What makes me think I need it? Uh, because it’s not working?

And yes, there is such a package. There used to be, anyway. Now it’s gone.

these are the dependencies for Torguard:

iproute2 (iproute2-git, iproute-mptcp, iproute2-selinux)
    qt5-declarative (qt5-declarative-git)
    qt5-websockets (qt5-websockets-git)
    shadowsocks-libev (shadowsocks-libev-git)
    stunnel (stunnel-systemd-git)
    unbound
    wireguard-tools (wireguard-tools-git) (optional) – wireguard support

For wireguard support you need wireguard-tools!

It’s an optional dependency of wireguard-tools, WHICH I ALREADY HAVE, OBVIOUSLY… Do I need to post a screenshot to prove it to you?

There is no such package as wireguard-lts. You need wireguard-tools for wireguard support. Good luck!

Wrong.

I saw that but there is no such package in the official repos or the AUR

No kidding… ya think? Why do you suppose that I made this topic? It wont run on the 5.4 kernel, nothing else has changed, so that is the only explanation.

You could use a non LTS kernel if that is an option?

I don’t want to use a non-lts kernel, for reasons that have already been explained in my op.

what about sudo pacman -U https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/wireguard-lts

[cj@thinkpad ~]$ sudo pacman -U https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/wireguard-lts
[sudo] password for cj: 
 wireguard-lts                                13.0 KiB  89.1 KiB/s 00:00 [########################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'alpmtmp.eoVkSt' from archlinux.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to download https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/wireguard-lts/.sig
loading packages...
error: '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/wireguard-lts': package missing required signature

I have a feeling Mirdarthos will have the answer…

Hi guys,

Apologies for butting in.

IIRC Wireguard will only work from Kernel 5.8 onwards without a DKMS package. This mena it’ll not just work with kernel version 5.4.

Fortunately, @pretzelbrain, Kernel version 5.10 is set to be the next LTS version, so I’m guessing you can install it and maybe Wireguard will then come back to you.

Edit:

When searching with pamac search there are many results for “wireguard”:

$ pamac search wireguard
wgroute                                                                                                                                                                                      1.0.1-1                      AUR 
A tiny script to use if you want to route all of your packets through WireGuard without wg-quick
wgmgr                                                                                                                                                                                        1.5.2-1                      AUR 
Manages WireGuard PKIs for VPN-like deployments
wgcf                                                                                                                                                                                         2.1.4-1                      AUR 
Generate WireGuard profile from Cloudflare Warp account
tunsafe-git                                                                                                                                                                                  r9.ge116360-1                AUR
High performance and secure VPN client that uses the WireGuard protocol
tunsafe                                                                                                                                                                                      1.4-1                        AUR
High performance and secure VPN client that uses the WireGuard protocol
python-wgtools-git                                                                                                                                                                           r11.f986439-2                AUR
Python bindings for wireguard-tools
python-wgtools                                                                                                                                                                               1.0.1-1                      AUR
Python bindings for wireguard-tools
lxc-service-snapshots                                                                                                                                                                        2.17-1                       AUR
Run disposable (read-only then delete) Linux containers (LXC) to serve up OpenVPN, Pi-Hole, or WireGuard.
dynwg                                                                                                                                                                                        1.1.3-1                      AUR
A DynDNS watchdog for WireGuard over systemd-networkd
boringtun-git                                                                                                                                                                                0.3.0.13.g362be0d-1          AUR
Userspace WireGuard® Implementation in Rust
vxwireguard-generator-git                                                                                                                                                                    r16.779f0a5-1                AUR
Utility to generate VXLAN over Wireguard mesh SD-WAN configuration
systemd-wireguard-refresh-git                                                                                                                                                                r4.6e75115-2                 AUR
A script and configuration files to refresh Wireguard endpoints periodically (or not)
prometheus_wireguard_exporter                                                                                                                                                                3.4.1-1                      AUR
A prometheus exporter for wireguard stats
networkmanager-wireguard-git                                                                                                                                                                 r87.0e1124d-1                AUR
NetworkManager VPN plugin for WireGuard - git
networkmanager-wireguard                                                                                                                                                                     0+r87+g0e1124d-1             AUR
NetworkManager VPN plugin for WireGuard
mkinitcpio-wireguard                                                                                                                                                                         0.4.1-1                      AUR
mkinitcpio hook that initialises Wireguard to assist in the remote unlocking of encrypted partitions.
wireguard-vanity-address                                                                                                                                                                     0.4.0-1                      AUR
Generate Wireguard keypairs with a given prefix string
wireguard-tools-git                                                                                                                                                                          0.0.20190601.r2.gaab8bec-1   AUR
next generation secure network tunnel - git checkout
wireguard-tools                                                                                                                                                                              1.0.20200827-1               extra
next generation secure network tunnel - tools for configuration
wireguard-module-git                                                                                                                                                                         0.0.20191226.r4.g7481b6a-1   AUR
Fast, modern, secure VPN tunnel (kernel module)
wireguard-go-git                                                                                                                                                                             v0.0.20191012.13.gddfad45-1  AUR
Go userspace implementation of WireGuard
wireguard-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                           0.0.20190601.r2.gaab8bec-1   AUR
next generation secure network tunnel - git checkout
wireguard-dkms                                                                                                                                                                               1.0.20201221-1               extra
next generation secure network tunnel - module sources

So, maybe it is there, just with another name, or something? Perhaps wireguard-tools. I don’t know. I’m no expert.

1 Like

I feared that this might be the case. sigh I was on 5.10, and a few things seemed glitchy. Also, according to what I have read, it’s not supported for as long as 5.4.

I have the dkms package installed, btw.

I already have wireguard-tools installed, as well. Wireguard-lts is listed as an optional dependency for it.

It is set to become LTS when 5.11 is released, if I understand correctly. I don’t really know what’s glitchy according to you, but I have it, and use it daily for about 8-10 hours straight, with no problems. I don’t find anything glitchy at all.