wired connection enable auto-negotiation by default

Was using manjaro for days before I realized that there is something wrong with network speed. Not only was it only 100M, but it was set to half-duplex also for some mysterious reason. Is there a reason why wired network connections shouldn’t use auto-negotiation for speed by default? I do think it should.

Are you sure it isn’t using auto-negotiation? What kind of network hardware is it? There are some drivers for which it is common to auto-negotiate to 100M. I had the same problem with an Intel chipset in my previous workstation.

Older Intel chipsets often seem to default to those settings. Most installs generally are set to auto-negotiation I believe.

2 Likes

Installed manjaro KDE into 2 different older computers (inxi’s). Both had default at disabled auto-negotiation and 100M with only half-duplex set.
Both were able to auto-negotiate perfectly when enabled it.

I wasn’t saying it doesn’t happen, but from my experiences in dealing with a lot of networking threads it is in the minority of installs where this occurs.

Were your cards both intel adapters, because as I stated that is where it seems to happen the most often.

Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo ThinkPad T520 driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 5080 
           bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Network:   Device-1: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: c800 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 

anyway since it happened to already 2 different computers (my 100% experience so far) I assumed it was set default and not hardware related thing. it’s really no big deal to fine tune it manually myself, but it just makes the entire experience less polished if there are very many of such things happening you have to touch and set yourself after install.

That is a fairly problematic adapter and exactly one of the few I would expect to see this with.

If I had to guess at a percentage figure where this occurs, I’d say 2% to 5% (at the max) of the cases I deal with this happens.