Wine not working

since latest update wine is not working, including the applications… it constantly says bad format

Wine itself says that, or linux does? Try opening wine explorer and open an application from there.

No problem here.
Please be more specific: applications not working, version of wine, etc.

wine Version 2.18-1. the previous version worked, i could run windows games to be specific need for speed. i have tried running the games by executing the exe file through wine explorer but response is the same it says bad format.,

Did you try downgrading wine or freetype2 and try again?

I have a couple of installations bugging on the subject.

I have been backtracking to see if I could pinpoint the issue but with no luck.

In one case it is a missing libncurses.so.5 which really do not make sense. The compat library was up-to-date and my libncurses was v6

Another case was a basic test bottle with no apps and it fail the simple task of opening the wine notepad.

I have no idea what it is but I am grateful I am not depending on running windows apps under wine.

That said never expect wine to replace windows - ever - period

Since I’m using crossover linux regulary and it doesn’t work with certain apps anymore since the freetype2 update I think this could be related to that maybe?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/crossover/

Some apps from crossover stopped working
I had many mistakes like this:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000004 at address 0x7ea48dde (thread 0028), starting debugger…
winedbg: Internal crash at 0x7e72bdde

TO solve the problem I downgraded lib32-freetype2 to lib32-freetype2-2.7.1-2 and it resumed working

how to i downgrade a package

locate the package in question in the folder

/var/cache/pacman/pkg

For example do

ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lib32-freetype2*

Then (replace <version> and <pkgrel> with the actual values)

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lib32-freetype2-<version>-<pkgrel>.pkg.tar.xz

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.