Wine - err:winediag:load_odbc failed to open library "libodbc.so

Trying to use an old windows application. I just installed wine and winetricks for the first time on this computer. I was able to run another old application but this one gives this message when I launch the desktop exe via command line. The application did install successfully. This is just when I try and launch the icon wine put on my desktop.

$ 011c:err:winediag:load_odbc failed to open library "libodbc.so": libodbc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
011c:err:oledb:get_data_source provider L"Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0" not registered
011c:fixme:msado15:supporterror_InterfaceSupportsErrorInfo 01550850, {00000515-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}
011c:err:oledb:get_data_source provider L"Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0" not registered
011c:fixme:msado15:supporterror_InterfaceSupportsErrorInfo 01E894F0, {00000515-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}

I also [installed libiodbc], thinking it would fix it. But no luck so far.

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text
Use words instead of screenshots.

There is the winehq application database.
Possibly your app is mentioned there.

re your picture:
you installed libiodbc (notice the “i” in there?)
which does not provide the library that you want

it provides: libiodbc.so -
not the same as libodbc.so :grin:
which is provided by/contained in the package:
unixodbc

I don’t see it in the application db. I installed unixodbc and it didn’t change anything. Here is some more output I didn’t share.

$ ./Techstream.desktop 
./Techstream.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
0024:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004000
./Techstream.desktop: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./Techstream.desktop: line 6: `Path=/home/will/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Toyota Diagnostics/Techstream/bin'
$ 011c:err:winediag:load_odbc failed to open library "libodbc.so": libodbc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
011c:fixme:msado15:supporterror_InterfaceSupportsErrorInfo 01550850, {00000515-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

I cannot help - I just noticed the obvious difference in the name of the apparently missing library.
Don’t even know whether wine looks for a Linux native one or for one that should be installed in the wine prefix (the Windows native odbc equivalent).
No idea whatsoever - sorry.

This seems to be software to read and interpret data from a car OBD2 interface specific for Toyota cars.

The best bet would be to get a Windows VM running and install the software there - and passing the usb connected OBD2 adapter through to it.

I have done the same thing with Vida (I think that was the name) for older Volvo cars.

Worked perfectly.
It’s three years ago now - I still have the VM and the adapter/connector - but not the car anymore :wink:

ps:
if the desktop launcher doesn’t work
simply try launching the program using the terminal and the full path to the program exe in your wine installation
for example:
wine "/home/will/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Toyota Diagnostics/Techstream/bin/whateverthenameoftheprogramis.exe"

“Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0”

How old is the application? I remember Jet.OLEDB from my years of purgatory in Windows development back in the day and I’m pretty sure it requires installing Microsoft Access Database Engine redistributable. But I think they dropped Jet at some point so you may need an older one?

Winetricks has MS Access 2007 runtime which may work (for 32-bit applications only though).

I’m not sure but I imagine is pretty old. Correction, found Access 2007. I’ll try that next.

Apologies mods I will checkout how to post code properly here.

I’m still working on this. Hope it’s okay to comment like this just to keep the thread open.