Wine doesn't start application

application suddenly stopped working with wine, it loads then shuts down again without opening.

typing winecfg in the terminal makes it load forever and can’t be killed, same behavior with any other .exe application.

here is what is printed after spamming enter:

0124:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0124, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
0130:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0130, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
013c:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 013c, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
0148:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0148, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
0154:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0154, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
015c:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 015c, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
016c:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 016c, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)
0174:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 7BC6A440 "../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0174, blocked by 0110, retrying (60 sec)

Hi @kemo_2011, and welcome!

In order for us, or anyone for that matter, to be able to provide assistance, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please edit your post accordingly.

OK, I’m absolutely, :100:% unsure 'bout this, but have you tried installing and running the application through Lutris? I know Lutris is actually meant for games, but software will also work.

same issue.
added the program and installed the lutris wine version and all.
exe runns for 2 seconds and shuts down just like before

Welp, in that case all I can give you is an even bigger

:man_shrugging:

Sorry!

:sob:

1 Like

thanks for the effort (:

1 Like

Which (mysterious) program does not work? Have you checked the Wine Database?

proteus 8 professional , dark souls 1, and many others that worked the previous day and suddenly stopped working so I don’t think it is an application issue. even winecfg does the same behavior

Thank you. I don’'t use any of those. I only use Wine for very simple, standalone software such as WinSCP and QuickPar. Stable and Testing branches are on Wine 7.19. Unstable was upgraded recently
to 7.20:

[2022-11-01T06:34:04-0400] [ALPM] upgraded wine (7.19-1 -> 7.20-1)

In my use case, I need Windows only for tax software (USA) and it runs perfectly in a virtualbox VM. I would recommend that route if you can get away with it.

thanks, but does anyone has a solution other than switching to windows?

Just little side note: you see that thread 0110 is blocking other threads of a process. And the process is the dll loader.

Did you even try creating a new clean custom prefix with a specific version of wine? Note that there differences between versions.

When it loads forever then there is something wrong with the prefix, prefix configurations or the used wine version is buggy. Could be also DXVK etc etc etc. There are many mine fields on reverse-engineered windows libraries for linux.

Note hat 7.20 is the development version and 7.0.1 is currently the release version. So expect problems on a work-in-progress development version.

sorry, but can you give a hint about what to do exactly? I appreciate your help

For a noob: Install a “wine manager” like for example bottles. Developers of bottles prefer flatpak, maybe better use that version then.

flatpak install com.usebottles.bottles

Get familiar with such software and use for each application one “bottle” (prefix). The good thing is: You can install/run different wine versions. And when you install it with one version, then it will never change unless you do it yourself. That way you have less surprises.

1 Like

did all of that and added the executables and nothing lunches still…

Ok I “wasted” my time and install the proteus 8 demo myself in bottles.

1. Create a new bottles and name it proteus or similiar. Use the application template.
  2. Install the dependencies with bottles (before you run the actual setup): vcredist2008 and vcredist2013
  3. Run PDS.

No idea if it entirely work, but it starts.

1 Like

reinstalling proteus inside bottles seem to work. thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.