Windows Update: Grub Disappeared

System:
Windows 10, Manjaro and Mint
After the Windows update, my grub menu disappeared.

I set the bootloader using:

bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi in Windows cmd

I am able to access Manjaro by pausing the startup and choosing Manjaro from the “Boot device Options” and then I am greeted with Grub.

I followed Restore the Grub Bootloader Manjaro Page :
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Chroot_into_your_existing_Manjaro_Installation
Did all the steps by chrooting into Manjaro from Mint and did an update-grub.
I got this warning: WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Note: It detected Mint and Manjaro but not Windows.

Followed the the same steps by actually booting into Manjaro-- no chroot:
Detected Windows as well. But no grub menu yet.

If more information is required then do let me know.

Use livecd and type configfile entry to boot into Manjaro. When booted into Manjaro, at terminal

sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub

ps: If you use lvm, encryption or separate /usr partition, it won’t work.

'LLo,

Nice, bcdedit is the most complicated, poorest documented command of windows, isn’t it (to wonder if anyone knows exactly how it works, except you :wink: ) ?
I’m glad I stopped with that now. :slight_smile:

This is why I always set a separate efi and boot partition on UEFI setups

I would suggest if you can go with 2 drives that way each os will not conflict with the other. Windows 10 on ssd and Manjaro on HD. UEFI to boot between the two. Beautiful world.

I used to use this method, bu ever since I got my SSD windows and linux have shared the same boot drive.
This is why I partition things the way I do

Is there some trick to doing this? When I tried it I would get random lockups and grub would never find windows. It all cleared up when I deleted the new efi partition and just used the windows made one for for grub.

Here is how mine is set up:

Partitions 1-4 are all windows
That includes its recovery partition, efi partition, reserved partition and windows itself

Partitions 5, 6 and 7 are linux
I have a secondary efi partition formatted in fat
a /boot partition formatted in ext4 (do this if you use btrfs!)
and finally root

During setup I always use gparted if its a fresh install to create the fat drive for efi then use camares or whatever installer the distro uses to make it a efi partition.

Then I make a separate boot partition and I always make sure secure boot is off.

It can run in UEFI or legacy this way.

(moved from #general-discussion to #technical-issues-and-assistance as this is request for help, not a discussion item)

I will try to fix this problem a little later. Got a little preoccupied here. Thanks for your reply!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.