Windows 10: "update-grub" ignores menuentry - but works

Problem: Manjaro testing and Windows 10, installed on separate drives.

sudo update-grub                                                                                                                    
[sudo] Passwort für *****: 
GRUB-Konfigurationsdatei wird erstellt …
Thema gefunden: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Linux-Abbild gefunden: /boot/vmlinuz-5.9-x86_64
initrd-Abbild gefunden: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
Linux-Abbild gefunden: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64
initrd-Abbild gefunden: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64-fallback.img
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
erledigt

The entry for “Windows 10 Bootmanager” is missing above.
I added to /etc/default/grub.cfg:
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
and added the menuentry for Windows 10 into: /etc/grub.d/40_custom
(Reason was double entry some times before/ago)

After latest update (?) the command “update-grub” does not mention “windows 10 Bootloader”
any longer. May be ashamed of windoofs?

In Grub-Menu the entry “Windows Boot-Manager” is there and works as usual, even if I re-install grub.

I ran into similar issue. You may try and mount Windows EFI partition and then run mkconfig.

• If you have 2 ESPs than this behaviour is normal: grub only looks at the EFI partition of the bootable drive and doesn’t even look on the other one…
  • If you manually add an entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom then this will not be mentioned during update-grub.
    I.E. I have a ton of custom entries there (E.G. Bootable GParted ISO, Debian, …) and they don’t show up during generation neither but are present in the grub menu regardless…

:+1:

P.S. Next time before posting output type export LANG=C and then kommt alles in Englisch und nicht in Deutsch all output will be in English from that point forward until you close the terminal. :wink:

1 Like

This is the case - and now I do not have to wonder me any longer - thanks Fabrizio!!!

(Feel free to correct any of my speling and gramar erors!) stolen by german parvenü

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.