Will Manjaro use systemd-oomd by default someday?

With now systemd 248 that includes systemd-oomd to prevent out of memory conditions,so I was wondering if Manjaro will have it enabled by default? I see many situations where the user had to force reboot the pc because the memory was full (especially if during the installation they select no swap,as they don’t know what does that mean). So I think this is a good idea especially on lower-end hardware.

The only downside I see for now is that systemd-oomd only works with DE that can work with cgroups v2 and splits the process for each cgroup,so only GNOME and KDE can do that,every other DE don’t split process in each cgroups so systemd-oomd will kill all the user session when it reach out of memory,to remedy this Manjaro can use nohang or earlyoom for others DE,or include it for all DEs.

Although only Fedora come with systemd-oomd for the moment, Garuda comes with nohang.

1 Like

On unstable you can start/enable the service, so is included by default. To be enabled by default it would need some testing first. Right?

Yeah I was talking about being enabled,I misspelled that.

Testing sure,I was actually seeing the defaults options that Fedora has,had to edit user@service to include

[Service]
ManagedOOMMemoryPressure=kill
ManagedOOMMemoryPressureLimit=50%

and user.slice with

[Slice]
ManagedOOMSwap=kill

and it works great on my machine, if I type

tail /dev/zero

to fill quickly the memory,the oomd will ocurred before the system freezes,even if I have many applications open as well,but my machine has 8 GB so this test make little sense,this need to be more tested on lower machines.