Will Manjaro distributed NVIDIA drivers use opengpu variant from 555/560+ series?

Nvidia announced that they’ll use the opengpu kernel driver variant by default since 560 series. This option also appears on 555 beta driver changelog.

See:

However, opengpu variant will not support some older cards (cards before GTX16** and RTX20**). Will there be an option in mhwd to choose either variant? Which variant will be installed by default?

Most likely, the kernel itself will select the open-source driver if the hardware supports it.

I don’t foresee a lot of changes on account of that in comparison to how things are now. Right now, you can opt for the free driver or the proprietary driver during installation. This is not likely to change, and if the hardware supports the new free driver, then choosing the free driver will select that one instead of nouveau.

all cards of the 20xx-series and newer will be supported. there will be a installation-parameter at the nvidia-driver itself that can be set to run older cards with the driver but the older cards cannot benefit of the new improvements like wayland-support.

Good questions. The team has not discussed it yet. We’ll see.

He’s referring to the out-of-tree open GPU kernel module, not the in-tree Nouveau driver. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, but considering that it’s dual-licensed (MIT/GPLv2) for use on GNU/Linux, chances are that the kernel developers upstream may eventually make it into an in-tree module. :man_shrugging:

I’m not so sure about that.

I am not aware of any plans to publish the source code to other parts of our GPU driver stack.

See the last line in this comment: Clarification on GPU support for Maxwell/Pascal archs and binary/OS relationship · Issue #19 · NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules · GitHub
And we didn’t see any statements that would say otherwise for now at least.

And yes, I’m referring to out-of-tree open GPU kernel module, not Nouveau