Will I have to reinstall Manjaro after the version after Ruah is released?

Ok , thanks

Well , if it ever gets bricked I may have a reason to switch it to xfce then …

Huh , so it’s not like Ubuntu, I’m curious for how long can a install last , I have mine since ruah got released

1 Like

No Sir, not quite like Ubuntu. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, late April 2019 to early September 2022 — you do the math. :wink:

This is the whole point of rolling-release systems. You install the system once and you keep it updated, as opposed to fixed-point distributions like Ubuntu or proprietary operating systems like Microsoft Windows and Apple macOS. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, why did you have to reinstall yours ?

Like , what happened?

I didn’t. Late April 2019 was when I bought a new computer (without an operating system installed) and when I switched to Manjaro — I’ve been exclusively running GNU/Linux for well over 20 years already, on both servers and workstations.

My previous computer was a refurbished machine of which the power supply and the onboard GPU were dying, and it was crashing all the time. On that machine, I was running PCLinuxOS, which is also a rolling-release distribution, but the problems were not with the operating system; it was the old and beaten-up hardware in that box.

So, I bought a new shop-built computer and then I went looking for a suitable distribution, and that’s when I discovered Manjaro. It was love at first sight, and I’m still as happy with it as I was back then. :wink:

7 Likes

In theory, as long as Manjaro exists. Or your hardware dies or becomes obsolete.

Manjaro vs Ubuntu at distrowatch. Scroll though the page. Notice the Release Model, etc. You can also search by release model, to see other distributions.

There was an interesting topic, “9 years with Manjaro”. Users were describing how long since their initial Manjaro install. Some of the times: 9 years, 3.5, 6 years.

3 Likes
1 Like

Now that’s is interesting, 9 yrs on a single install , that would be impossible with windows for sure xD

I kid you not, on my gaming laptop I always have to reinstall windows like each 3-4 yrs , especially cuz win 10 gets bugged and now there’s win11 to install since win10 will end the lts(update suport) next year(leaving computers vulnerable)…

Definitely review the document that @maycne.sonahoz linked to. Reading the Stable Update Announcement should be done with every update, at least the first post, usually written by @philm.

It is important to note, that a normal update will not update/replace a kernel that has hit its’ EOL (End Of Life). You need to know which kernel you are running (uname -a), inspect the announcement, and install a new kernel. To list installed: mhwd-kernel -li. For other options see: mhwd-kernel -h. I usually stick with a LT (Long Term) kernel. They are listed at kernel.org.

Snippet from Stable Update Announcement 2021-12-10

1 Like

The next batch of update release to stable branch will probably include manjaro-release to update file /etc/lsb/release

I had an update on testing branch recently manjaro-release 22.0.0pre2-1

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=22.0.0
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Sikaris
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"
2 Likes

Yeah , I’m on 5.15 , I’m pretty sure

I ran uname -a plenty of time to remember the number

I hope that I won’t have to change it soon

Cuz idk how to change it manually :expressionless:

But there had to be a gui way I hope

The GUI way is via Manjaro Settings Manager.

Idk , I’ll have to do it in a year , how much of a risk is it?

Can it make the system to not boot(in gnome) ?

Like I’ve gotten once a bad kernel on mint and had to use timeshift to get the system running correctly

You can have multiple kernels installed. If one doesn’t work, boot on another.

At this time, the only way I know when a kernel is EOL, is to read the Announcement for Stable Updates

And also look at the kernel releases :point_left: click on link - this will answer when your kernel 5.15 hits EOL.

Like posts above, you can have multiple kernels installed. When you boot, you can select the kernel. You may need to hit ESC (assumes UEFI) to display the GRUB menu (bootloader).

Check out this Manjaro wiki page: Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro. Searching this forum is also helpful. Checkout the Contributions > Tutorials section.

I use the command line. But yes, there is a GUI, Manjaro Settings Manager. You should be able to get to it directly or there is an item in your Desktop’s Settings. Manjaro is working on improving the MSM. My desktop is XFCE, so I can’t say for sure about GNOME.

3 Likes

Yeah , I found the gui , but I don’t know if it’s worth the risk to switch to 5.19 from 5.15

It’s actually Advanced boot options under manjaro

What risk?

No risk whatsoever. I’ve three kernels myself. 5.4, 5.10, 5.15. Just for info, and booting into either is child’s play, really :wink:

all right !
thanks for the info , I did it from the gui and everything works normally :

uname -r                                                         ✔ 
5.19.0-1-rt10-MANJARO

it kinda looks a tad different(the cursour blinks once when gnome starts) , a tad faster when gnome boots :slight_smile:

1 Like

You installed a Real Time kernel, unless you know exactly why you would need such kernel, don’t use it, install the normal kernel not the RT one.
When you have booted to normal kernel, remove the RT kernel.

2 Likes