Wildcard asterisk not working in zsh run as a normal user for unauthorized directories

I’m not making snarky remarks, im just stating the facts…
Don’t be offended if you lack knowledge about some things, no one can know everything, that’s why we help others…

Stating the fact you don’t understand something is to make it clear to you where you went wrong, to HELP you not to make you feel bad…

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think your title fits the bill, because the issue here was that no user but the mysql user had permissions for this folder. That means that not even the root user had permissions and that is the thing that threw me off. I would say it is a relatively uncommon scenario.

In other words, I never expected the normal user to have access to this folder.

I am not offended by my lack of knowledge. I just think your messages come across as snarky. It is possible to state the facts in a snarky way. They are not mutually exclusive things.

And I understand the fact that you are all taking time and energy answering when I need help. That’s why I have thanked several times.

The root user still has access to it, because it can access everything by definition.
Proof: you can access it when using su which makes you root…

I think the part you are mistaking in is:

• You think your shell will be able to access the files when you start with sudo on the command line, which is just not true…
    The asterisk is interpreted by the current shell (run as normal user), and not as the root user that the command is run after sudo…

Thus your change of the Title is plain wrong and impossible…
The root account means the system itself…, so if the system can’t access it nor will any other user account on your system.

1 Like

Makes sense. I wonder whether the same would have happened with Bash, though.

I will just su to root when I have to work with it.

Thanks =))

The behavior of permissions stays the same, no matter which shell you use, because that is part of the Unix/Linux operating system way of doing things. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.