Wifi working, no tab opens . says " connect to the internet"

wifi was working fine. then got progressively worse . icon shows various percentages at different times. even at 100% NO TAB WILL OPEN . GOOG. PAGE SAYS CONNECT TO THE INTERNET . your offline. connect to the internet. that’s for my desktop XFCE.
using my XFCE laptop now . could really use some help.thank you.

provide system info:
inxi -Faz
use formatting, click this icon in editor: </>

ok; I have to copy and paste to- libre office writer ?? in a flash drive and then transfer fdrive to laptop etc. … then copy and paste here . don’t know best way to do this except above described.

Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel
    pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: f000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
    chip-ID: 10ec:8125 class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp6s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  Device-2: ASUSTek USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek
    RTL8192CU] type: USB driver: rtl8192cu bus-ID: 5-2:2 chip-ID: 0b05:17ab
    class-ID: 0000 serial: <filter>
  IF: enp9s0f3u2 state: up mac: <filter>

````[me@ailoailo ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core.db failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction`

there were many more warnings etc. 

also , do you need the rest of the inxi -Faz

hey, i remember you, you had issues previously, but they were related to the hotel wifi …
refresh your mirrors:
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

I refreshed mirrors - again, in add or remove software/preferences and this time it took .
browser tabs are opening now.
I’ll try updating .

ok, I just saw your post/reply about mirrors .

so it is updating albeit slowly at 45-55%.
I also turned on all 3 third party repositories in preferences . hope that is safe.
at the moment the n13 dongle is plugged in. - one of the updates is for the
rtl88ux2bu-dkms-git Kernel module for Realtek rtl88ux2bu WiFi chipset — via the AUR - IS THAT APPROPRIATE ? in 5 mins. when it’s thru updating I’ll restart and plug in the newer dongle .

manjaro and aur repositories should be enough… flatpak is also ok, but snap not so much so turn that off…
yes thats ok, since the rtl88ux2bu driver was installed from aur…

ok, thanks. it finis updating.I did inxi -Faz in a new window and the data in both are exactly the same. now I’ll restart .

ok, I turned off snap. right now it just auto checked for updates after that. says up to date.

so, I have some other questions about how I maybe borked the system in other ways. where should I post that?
I think it mostly concerns trying to install various packages that weren’t available etc. since AUR and SNAP weren’t turned on . duh! I actually installed a couple from the snap store. so I think I just need to “clean” the system ?

sometimes I might be trying to install something that belongs in another desktop , like plasma or gnome and maybe mess things up.

sometimes I’ll install a package but they won’t open .

and what exactly do you have for issues?
post output from this:
pamac list -qm
it will list all packages installed from non official repos

[me@ailoailo ~]$ pamac list -qm
8192cu-dkms
rtl88x2bu-dkms-git
[me@ailoailo ~]$ 

well, I guess things may not be as bad as I thought.

well , not exactly sure.hard to explain. I swear so many times I would want  a package , I research some , try to find it etc. , maybe it's not in add or remove  or I can't find it or if I do it won't open  etc. .  I was under the impression , from reading in  various places , that the AUR could be dangerous blah , blah. so, not being a real linux USER  it's hard  to figure things out. I've tried out a ton of diff flavors. after x amount of time , things break and I always end up having to reinstall or after a while I move on , research latest distros - distro watch and dedoimedo and try another one .

well you have installed only 2 aur packages and both are drivers for your wifi usb adapters … if you want to use aur, prefer packages that are git or bin, so that the building of them doesnt take that long…
also some packages may not open if you dont install dependencies… also they may not open because of different versions in arch and manjaro…
what app cant you open? you can open it from teminal and there should be some error/failed/warning etc…

yes , I saw it’s only 2. I don’t know anything , really, about git or bin . in the distant past when I was in Mint , I would go to git and had some success downloading a particular package . not so , with Manjaro .

well, I can’t tell you which packages wouldn’t open ; it’s been too long . had this trouble lately . it’s all good right now ; I’m just glad to have the mirrors refreshed and access to the web.

yes , some times in the terminal , I’ll copy and paste a warning or error and research it . even succeed at times .

one of the things I do is download music from utube , convert it and put it in a small mp3 player to take to work. working 1st in xfce and then moving to kde there were differences but I didn’t know enough to deal with it . I haven’t been in kde lately ; I will when I have more time. Manjaro still my favorite .

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.