Wifi menu/settings are crashing when attempting to connect to wifi network with hidden ssid

When attempting to connect to my hidden wifi network the wifi menu crashes when i click connect. I tried both xfce and gnome versions of manjaro on more than one machine and the problem persists through both of the them.

Some adapters are not compatible with connecting to a hidden network with their Linux driver. I would suggest unhiding your network (unless you wish to purchase a new adapter). Hidden networks do not offer any measure of extra security, so just disable the hidden setting.

2 Likes

I’ve tried two separate very different machines and the problem persists on both of them so the issue isn’t the wireless card. I posted it on reddit and there are others with the same issue. As far as unhiding the ssid I don’t have control over the wifi network so I can’t do anything about that.

The only differences that matter in that case is the chips in the relevant machines. Are the chips from the same manufacturer. If you don’t know the chips identities you really aren’t making an informed statement of fact.

The chip identification from the other machine would be good to know as well. I will give you it is a long shot that different computers would have similar hardware, but it is not impossible by any means.

Is this a university network. If so, is it an eduroam network. Is it a corporate network? A little more info would be good. If you cannot change the AP’s settings then you may have a hard time fixing this.

Can these machines connect to other networks hidden/unhidden without problems. What OS is on the other machine.

Have you tried to ping the connection.

Please post full outputs:

ping -c5 8.8.8.8                                                                                

ping -c5 google.com 

ping -c5 127.0.0.1

ping -c5 localhost  
journalctl -b0 --no-pager -u NetworkManager | grep  -i 'error\|chang\|fail\|broke\|warn\|discon'

Please post:

inxi -Fxxxz

Unless there is no alternative, do not post terminal output as a pic.

Please post all terminal command output as text with code tags.

Information on how to properly post hardware specs and logs:

Please format any terminal output with three backticks before and after, as shown in this picture:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by