WiFi Driver Gets Removed After Every Update

I found driver for my WiFi dongle on github, it works well. But every time I update my system using pacman, the WiFi stops working, and I have to go through the process to install the driver again. Is there anyway to tell pacman not to make any changes to it?

It depends which driver you’re talking about.did you check if someone created a PKGBUILD in the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/

1 Like

Hi @awlinux,

That depends on the network card and the drivers in question. So we need more information to be able to be of assistance. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang::bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

It would help would you actually tell what driver you are referring to :grin:

my guess - the driver needs to be compiled - needs to be built again on each kernel update

4 Likes

This is the way that I install the driver, I don’t know if that helps:
(I install rtl8812au-dkms from AUR)

sudo apt-get install rtl8812au-dkms
git clone “GitHub - RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver: Realtek RTL88x2BU WiFi USB Driver for Linux
cd RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver
sudo make
sudo make install

Really?
You actually used apt-get?

Nah.
I won’t believe that …

you probably used this:

AUR (en) - rtl8812au-dkms-git

With dkms correctly set up and the kernel headers in place
this driver needs to be re-built after each kernel update.
But with dkms set up, this happens automatically.

No! I copied that right from the instruction that was for Ubuntu! I used yay to install that package on Manjaro!

What about the driver that I have to clone from github and install using make?

I’m not sure that you have to.

You said:

But:
that one does NOT exist in the AUR.
So, you could not have installed that one.
what exists, with a matching name, is:

Since you refer to the rtl88x2bu driver
you would need to install this AUR package:

AUR (en) - Packages

which is that same driver as on the github page.

You did not provide system/hardware info as requested.
I can thus only go from what comes to light piece by piece.

OK. Thank you. And sorry for not providing everything. I’m pretty new here. I’ll see if it works. If it doesn’t I’ll post a post everything requested.