Why you guys prefer Manjaro? (please read the description before answering)

So I'm newbie here. Switched to Manjaro just a week ago. I started to search for applications which are not listed in official repos (PacketTracer, GNS3, TeamViewer, etc) and went to the particular application's official website. One thing I noticed is that, Every official website has support for Ubuntu. To use these applications I have to rely on third party (AUR). So, my question is, Why Manjaro? Why not Ubuntu or (edit ahead) Debian/Debian based distro?
Edit:-
It seems I've started flame war. Maybe the way I described my question was wrong.
The only thing I wanted to know....
Debian and Debian/Ubuntu based distros have official support from companies of that software. Manjaro/arch based distribution rely on Third party for support for most applications.
Then why not debian/debian based/ubuntu based distros? Why manjaro?

Yes, I know people have a choice of their own. But I want answers sticking (completely) to the highlighted statement.

2 Likes

There is still so much to discover - how to start a flame war.
Welcome to the forum ...

1 Like

Why Manjaro?
Because I want rolling distro
Why Ubuntu?
I do not need any of the Ubuntu features

1 Like

If I may reverse the question, why have to rely on .deb files downloaded from third party websites, when everything can be found in the AUR? I personally find package managers really convenient. My tip to you is to learn how to manage packages in CLI. The learning curve is relatively short and as soon as you master it, Manjaro starts to make total sense.

2 Likes

Manjaro is SIMPLE in use, management, fixes are applied mostly ASAP and mainly - you have full control what and where.
Canonical is big, Launchpad with BZR, annoying performance, crappy kernel optimize aaand telemetry xD

2 Likes

From back of 2016 was not good enough of a topic?

2 Likes

An(other) excellent thread candidate for rapid termination.

3 Likes

Largely through ignorance I'd say.
I haven't used Ubuntu for a fair few years - I switched to Mint which was much more polished and better in many ways at the time.
Then after feeling like a change, and being too stupid and lazy to get the Arch installer to work for me I found Manjaro and experienced awesome installation power.

Partly I love Mint because they don't sneakily force you to accept a snap install (if you install Chromium, for example).

Most support exists for Windows - and that's the biggest bug in Linux. Are you suggesting that that's why we shouldn't switch?

BTW, what's tough about Teamviewer?

~ >>> yay teamviewer                                                                      
16 aur/teamviewer-quicksupport-beta 11.0.90184-1 (+0 0.00%) 
Teamviewer Quicksupport - All-In-One Software for Remote Support and Online Meetings - beta version
15 aur/teamviewer14 14.7.39531-1 (+0 0.00%) 
All-In-One Software for Remote Support and Online Meetings
14 aur/teamviewer-runit 1.1-1 (+1 0.80%) 
Teamviewer, runit init scripts
13 aur/teamviewer-openrc 1.0-2 (+2 0.00%) 
OpenRC scripts for teamviewer.
12 aur/teamviewer9 9.0.225162-1 (+3 0.00%) (Out-of-date 2020-05-21) 
11 aur/teamviewer-preview 14.0.8346-1 (+3 0.00%) 
All-In-One Software for Remote Support and Online Meetings (Version 14 preview)
10 aur/teamviewer-latest latest-1 (+4 0.26%) 
9 aur/teamviewer10 10.0.46203-1.1 (+14 0.00%) (Out-of-date 2020-05-21)
8 aur/teamviewer8 8.0.227120-1 (+14 0.00%) (Out-of-date 2020-05-21)
7 aur/teamviewer11 11.0.256402-1 (+14 0.00%)
6 aur/teamviewer12 12.0.90041-1 (+20 0.39%) (Out-of-date 2020-05-21)
5 aur/teamviewer-quicksupport 11.0.95210-2 (+21 0.00%)
Teamviewer Quicksupport - All-In-One Software for Remote Support and Online Meetings
4 aur/remmina-plugin-teamviewer 1.3.0.0-1 (+61 0.17%)
A protocol plugin for Remmina to launch a TeamViewer connection.
3 aur/teamviewer-beta 15.6.7-1 (+69 0.00%)
2 aur/teamviewer 15.7.6-1 (+1371 11.38%)
1 chaotic-aur/teamviewer 15.7.6-1 (24.0 MiB 67.8 MiB)
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==>

How many options do you need? Number 2 is the AUR - did you enable that?

I don't want Ubuntu, the repositories and half the available ppa's are like museum pieces.

Oh, and Teamviewer is NOT in Ubuntu repos either...

1 Like

Oh please, I do hope not. This could be soooo much fun.

2 Likes

But i'm out of marshmallows to toast on the bonfire.

2 Likes

Why I use manjaro? Hmmm, maybe because that it was the only distro I can successfully install on my lenovo ideapad s330-15ARR in august, last year. I have tried six or seven distros, none of them could finish the installation without errors, except for manjaro. I don't know what caused the problem, maybe the cpu, maybe the bios, but I'm feeling lucky in that manjaro works. Several bugs were still influenced on usages when I finished installation, but they have been fixed with the coming updates.

~ >>> yay marshmallows
No packages match search
~ >>>

Okay, maybe we need a workaround for this... already I supplied you with decent speakers for your music. All you need do is ask.

Here, grab a stick.

4 Likes

Why do some prefer Islay malts to Highland?

A matter of taste - or lack thereof (I prefer single malt Islay).

Why do some men prefer a big 4-wheeler - even they live in the city - and have no need to cross any deserts?

As predicted - this is a short lived thread - enjoy the bonfire and marshmellows :grin:

7 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by