Why these groups for Desktop Environments?

I was looking over the documentation for installing Desktop Environments, and was wondering if there is an explanation as to why a user should belong to the groups they list in the Wiki.

sudo useradd -mG lp,network,power,sys,wheel <username>

It makes sense to add the user to wheel for access to sudo, but I have never seen these groups listed anywhere else as a recommendation for a DE. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

• wheel – allow you sudo command
  • network – allow you manage network without root
  • lp – allow you manage printers and other devices without root
  • power – allow you shutdown wihout sudo
  • sys – allow you manage CUPS

For more see Users and groups - ArchWiki

1 Like

Sorry if the questions is dumb. I have been running on Gnome for the past few weeks (still pretty new to Linux in general, despite playing around with it here or there), and I have not really had any issues accessing or changing settings aside from users and printers. Even before I installed Gnome, I was able to connect to wireless using nmcli without issuing sudo prior, but I wonder if you are referring to advanced settings in each of these.

You use Manjaro, right? You don’t have any problems because you are added to these groups by default.

I do, but I’ve done a CLI install instead of using the installer, and installed gnome from there. Looking at the output for #>cat /etc/group the user I created was never added to those groups. In any case, I’m not arguing, and things work just fine, but I was curious to know why. Looks like I will add myself to those groups and see how that changes my experience. Thanks!

Hi @artomason,

If you wish to see the groups your user belongs too, use that command groups. For example, this is mine:

$ groups
sys ftp log http games dbus network power lxd storage optical disk audio wheel mirdarthos roccat android-sdk

Yeah I guess I could have done that :joy:.

Much less hassle. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.