Why Manjaro instead of Arch or Antergos

Hi guys,
I was using debian for a couple of years, but I installed Arch 4 months ago and will stick to it or one of its derivates.
Now I am wondering if I should use Manjaro testing instead of continuing with Arch since I am getting a little tired of daily updating.

So, why do you guys use Manjaro? Or why do you moved away from another distro?

4 Likes

If you are tired of updating, you should not have picked a rolling release.

The idea is that the updates happen all the time, and are non-disruptive, unlike a Debian release which can be a major life event.

You could get your kernels directly from Kernel.org and Desktop Environment directly from KDE or XFCE or Gnome.

But most of us want someone between us and the actual source of the software because you get a better product that way. Manjaro is Arch with more polish and a more friendly attitude.

8 Likes

Manjaro has just the right compilation of packages I need for my desktop - it’s not bare bone and not bloated either. It’s simple to install and quick to work with. It has all the advantages of Arch - the latest package and kernel updates, vast user repository, etc. but it doesn’t hit you with 300 updates per day like Arch can.

So Manjaro is the right choice if you want a more elegant experience. They focus specifically on the xfce and KDE builds and I think with those two it shows in quality. With Antergos you can pick a desktop environment when you install it, but it doesn’t mean it’s going to be as well integrated. In the end you just have to try and see, which is as simple as making a live USB key.

5 Likes

@jsamyth

I am just a LITTLE tired of DAILY updating.
Since the manjaro release cycle seems to be > weekly, I think I will like it.
The rolling release idea is imo the best way to run a system…

Looking forward to more responses…

Arch also tend to, since they are full bleeding edge, crash your system at times. To the point where you can have constant kernel panics - which was my main reason for switching. Arch developers also tend to push out some big changes once in a while which is good - but can crash your system if you don’t follow their instructions!

On Manjaro we have stable/unstable/testing, so you can pick and choose how stable you want your system to be. Since stability is what I want, but don’t want to sacrifice access to the AUR + like pacman + want semi-new software, Manjaro fits my use case perfectly.

6 Likes

What @HarmanK says is a little misleading. If one is hit with ~300 updates a day on Arch, you’ll be hit with ~3000 updates every week or two. One wouldn’t want that.

So on average (over a few weeks), you’ll have the same number of updates in Arch and Manjaro. It is just that with Manjaro, all those updates of a week or two are bunched together.

I use both Arch and Manjaro (on different machines) and find both of them to be great.

• As far as the forums are concerned, I haven’t used the Arch ones much, but this one is nice.
  • Both distos require that you read update notifications before you perform one, because there may be some manual operations required.
  • As @Tau indicates, roughly, one may expect Manjaro to be more stable than Arch (but as long as you’re prepared to be thorough, Arch is just as stable)
  • I think installation is one of the major issues that would prevent a noob from using Arch (which Manjaro solves), but I think you’ve got that sorted.
  • Community editions here are great; I use Manjaro only because of its official OpenRC support.
1 Like

pros of manjaro:

• includes many kernels and an easy way to switch between them
  • automatically installs kernel modules, e.g. for virtualbox or your wifi-driver
  • includes MHWD, which automatically configures drivers for your hardware
  • easy way to switch between proprietary and open GPU driver
  • manjaro clones the arch repos and uses 3 different branches as buffer in order to fix obvious stuff (= not fixing packages directly, but delaying package upgrades until they have been fixed). essentially, manjaro uses all arch users (and users of manjaro unstable and testing) as beta testers.
  • uses a generic GUI installer, which is developed by many different linux distributions. this ensures enough developers and code quality. IMHO, it is not perfect yet. but it gets constantly improved, e.g. it will soon be able to give users a choice of different preconfigured DEs.
  • (shameless self-praising:) great support forum

pros of arch:

• provides the package repositories. this means all packages in there work for arch. kernel-related and makepkg-related packages from the arch repos do not work in manjaro.
  • provides the arch wiki. this means all articles in there work for arch. kernel-related and makepkg-related articles from the arch wiki do not work for manjaro.
  • more stable than the unstable branch of manjaro: manjaro unstable/testing clones the arch repos and adds their own tools and packages. these can break.

pros of antergos:

• uses a (buggy) GUI installer
  • gives you a (very limited) choice of preconfigured DEs during installation.
  • (almost) all pros of arch linux apply, too.
22 Likes

After much distro hopping I have found my distro home.

Why?

• Based on the Arch Mothership, so light and quick
  • Manjaro is leading edge, not bleeding edge, and very stable
  • Manjaro has its own Unstable, Testing and Stable repos
  • Access to most Arch packages in Manjaro repos, and access to AUR too via yaourt
  • Calmares installer, still evolving, but makes installation simple
  • Manjaro GUI system configuration tools
  • MHWD (Manjaro Hardware Detection) tool to detect and install drivers
  • Ability to install and remove multiple kernels via GUI
  • Octopi, a very good pacman Qt GUI frontend
  • Best KDE integration of all distros I’ve tried
  • Manjaro dev team are very good

Being based on Arch, almost all of the Arch Wiki is relevant and a fantastic learning resource. For Manjaro specific info (ie kernels and drivers) the Manjaro wiki does the job.

Finally the Manjaro community is friendly, helpful, knowledgable, and pretty switched on. Here newbies are treated the same as seasoned Linux heads. For a reasonably recent Linux convert it is nice to be able to ask a question and not be treated with derision or contempt.

26 Likes

As Manjaro Developers we work closely with developers of other projects and upstream. Given the fact that we provide multiple kernels and work with the original upstream maintainers to solve issues fast, you have a great solid base.

Since we were tired on constantly rebuilding our overlay packages as upstream updates come, we decided to clone the whole repos and push updates to our testing branch when we had figured out the issues and finalized our packages to be compiled on api/abi or library changes made by Archlinux.

Having the branch system you can choose which stability and updated frequency you like. Without our great community, which helps you here in the forums, in our wiki and writes the great reviews, tutorials and documentation, Manjaro would just have been just another distro trying to make the world a better place.

We also tread everybody as they are. If you’re new, you don’t want to be pushed or told things you don’t know yet. There is never a silly question, only stupid answers. Either we find the valid answer to the already asked question many times or give it in a way you understand better plus point you into the right direction, rather than shouting at you to read the given manual first. Simply tread others like you want to be threaded yourself.

This should also summarize our motto: Enjoy simplicity.

41 Likes

So, why do you guys use Manjaro? Or why do you moved away from another distro?

I was a Kubuntu user, some apps that I need aren’t in its repository, while PPA is “anyone may host” so I’m a bit skeptical about its security. So I need to build from source. More often than not, required libraries’ version is ahead of the ones in repository, again the library itself must be built from source. Now the library depends on another one, which again could have version lag problem. As a bonus, built from source meaning (un)installation is totally my responsibility, and it clutters my installation. I’m tired of it, I need a rolling release distro with cutting edge version of libraries.

I first see Arch, I don’t think I’m ready for it, I’m not that diligent to setup everything from scratch. Then a google query (don’t really remember what it was) revealed Manjaro, at its 0.8 version. I installed it, I tried it, I learned pacman and AUR system, I loved it, it fulfilled my needs, so I continue using it until now. Bonus: AUR hosting and management is centralized, yet anyone can contribute easily, I now have several packages there so (un)installation is managed by the system, a much better way from my POV than PPA. Bonus 2: multiple kernel support allows me to try and find out which kernel suits my devices.

7 Likes

Everybody running in defence of manjaro missed the point completely 1st you don’t have to update arch daily that is complete fallacy some many users update on a monthly basis with no problems?
What would be the point of using Manjaro testing it updates daily, but again you don’t have to.
Manjaro stable updates weekly but again you don’t have to if you can call it stable, its based on a rolling release so it does break sometimes for some users, on the other hand running arch for many years it does not break for me and many others. it all depends on what you use and what you use it on + some luck

8 Likes

Thanks for all your answers and points of view so far…

If I stick to my Arch installations or replace them all with Manjaro is not deceided yet, but this:

is in my opinion one of the best reasons for me to replace Arch!
And, I am absolutely impressed about the way of behaviour and factual statements in this forum here!

2 Likes

Yep did a stint with KDE Neon & Antergros last month.
Biggest missing for me was the active interaction of the Manjaro Forums and users here.

Antergros is a rural store stop compared to the active community of the Manjaro forums.

5 Likes

Manjaro has some tools that arch does not and vica versa.

Arch has

• abs
    • aura
    • reflector
    • bauerbil
  • pkgfile

Manjaro has

• mhwd
  • bmenu
  • manjaro-tools
  • desktop settings packages
  • crapboard of other custom tools
  • manjaro kernels

Also, manjaro is optimized for desktop, while arch is more generalist system.

9 Likes

I feel that Manjaro has achieved a balance that I have not found elsewhere. It is “bleeding edge” enough, and at the same time very usable. Plus when you factor in the user friendly, active community we have here…it’s a winning combination.:slight_smile:
I am a Manjaro user of 3+ years and I’m a happy camper here. I haven’t found Manjaro to be lacking in any regard…kudos to everyone that makes it so.:sunglasses:

Best regards.

21 Likes

jsamyth, nice the way you put it, “most of us want someone between us and the …(less polished updates)”. The Manjaro team is doing such a great service for us, polishing the Arch updates and packaging them so nicely.

Also Manjaro has a beautiful i3 distribution that runs superbly on old, slow 64-bit machines with as little as a gigabyte of RAM–like many an old laptop.

I just feel Manjaro is more reliable than arch pure and antergos, giving more overall stability while still remaining rolling

1 Like

I was using Linux Mint and then Xubuntu before I found Manjaro over a year go. I have been a happy camper ever since.

Why - well I wanted something that keeps on a good patch level with its applications - coming from Ubuntu (which I started linux in 4.10) I got pissed recently as the dist-upgrade just kept failing and claimed that apt was locked, despite no lockfile being there.

Long story short, I tried a view of distros that night after my rage came over the SSD and ubuntu had been purged, I first went with antergos but the system was not usable on my T450s and I need that sucker working … so next I gave suse tumbleweed a shot, but I did not feel home there - and than back to distrowatch - there was Manjaro, pulled the gnome-iso, ran it - it worked, fine fast - looked at the forum, nice people and now its my 3rd week and I came to stay.

1 Like

I came because I was too lazy to keep arch updated. And I really liked the wallpaper of openbox edition of 0.8.something. I tried antergos too, but it felt slow (because I installed it on hdd and manjaro on ssd :sweat_smile:).