Why Linux is faster and "snappier" and much more stable than windows 10 latest?

OK, this is gona be like, but be with me
I am using both windows and Linux (Manjaro)
Been using Windows for years (since windows 95 or even 3.1) and Linux since ~1999
Anyway

I (Even now) have on my PC both Linux and windows 10, and yes, I have tweaked the hell out of my win machine (removed process and much more)
And yet, eveything seem much faster and “snappier” on Linux

I am talking even on the same programs! (like Firefox for example)
So why?!

Now, I don’t want (not mind, but not only) answers like “linux is better” or "linux has a better I/O and such, but a more complex answers to try understand it
Process scheduling
Files
I/O
Networking

Everything

And second things
MS, lets talk about them for a second
They have been doing OS’s for like how long? 25+ years? so? I am sure they can have a look at the Kernel and learn things, or even use all their 10,000 workers or whatever and all their $$$$$ to make better OS, no?

So, I am really looking for a depth long answer to this, to understand how come after all those years Linux is still faster, stable, and more secure than windows (even latest win like 10 latest)

try phoronix test suite

they have all benchmark for that

Sorry but I don’t agree with you.
I’m dual booting with Win10 with Manjaro Xfce and point of performance and beauty Windows wins many aspects.
I used to KDE and Gnome, Win-10 like mixed both but more efficient way for energy saving and more faster.
Still font rendering issue goes with all DE’s, Win-10 rendering fonts much better.
Applications work more quicker than KDE and Gnome even than Xfce.
On KDE or Gnome my temp around 45 C with light usage but this temp around 38-42 on Windows-10
Memory usage more efficient on Windows-10, after using long sessions KDE, Gnome even Xfce start sluggish.
I installed Win10 about 10 month ago and it still fast like first install
Win10 gives more tools for fully desktop integration with hardware and software.
I like Win10 theming it gives many option.
And again for energy and hardware options more advanced than Linux.
Win-10 more stabil than Linux, some big updates still break system on Linux but on Win10 even after 3-4 gb of update I don’t see any problem
I love linux and Manjaro but you mentioned that MS have thousands of devoted genius devs. In my part using GNU and Linux just for ideological thing and I use open source and Linux just for that.
And you are right after 30 years experience, millions of users and having billions of dollars they should make more and more efficient OS and product than today…
Best Regards

2 Likes

You must have no clue how to set up a Linux install, because most of your comparisons are laughable.

1 Like

What is snappy? I use Windows 10 on the tablet and Manjaro with Gnome on my PC. Both run really fast.

Without benchmarks I don’t think that you can say that as a given. If your Windows 10 runs slow you should perhaps reinstall :confused:

I’m not technical guy but this article explaining many things that I can’t. Many point is arguable but most part is true.
I hate MS and other priority devil companies but there are realities…
https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

2 Likes

I think you need to tweak your memory management to improve things. I use KDE on a computer that is almost 10 years old with only 4 gigs of ram. I never experience slowdowns with weeks of uptime.

I can’t fathom how you have such poor performance.

That article badly needs to be updated. Many people are using Linux on the desktop just fine with no to very few issues.

I think the reason my Linux setup feels snappier than my Windows setup is

1. it uses less ram. My Windows chokes after after 10 chromium tabs, my Linux doesn’t have problems with 30+ tabs.
  2. better handling of swap. My Linux setup does not touch the swap unless it needs to, in windows I had to disable swap to keep it snappy. Which is why it chokes after 10 tabs. I suspect I could get it to work better somehow.
  3. shared libraries. Gimp start almost 10 seconds faster on Linux for me, because all the gtk stuff is already loaded by the desktop, and they share the common resource instead of bundling all the dependencies to one app.

That being said, Windows 10 actually performs pretty well especially on higher end hardware. From usability and performance perspective, it’s not bad like Windows 8 was.

4 Likes

The linux kernel devs are not afraid to break some old api because it might be horribly designed or very buggy. They don’t want to but they have to improve overall and risking it will break someone’s else aplication.

Windows tries to be compatible way back to the stone age and keeps patching and patching things that should be rewritten completely. MS is just patchin’ for sole reason big corporations don’t go crazy, cause theirs precious product app stopped working due some api being deprecated.

Linux wins in snappines almost always compared to W10, however I must say when I stress my SSD, then the whole system just freeze for a bit, windows at least let me resize/minimize apps. :smiley:

2 Likes

It is because Linux has less Microsoft.

But seriously, my personal experience is that with a clean fresh install I will not notice much difference between Linux and Windows from a basic performance perspective. However, the windows install will get slower over time as more stuff is installed. Even when I aggressively prune running applications an older windows install is never as responsive as a clean windows install. With Arch/Manjaro I don’t find that to be true at all. Even over the long-term performance seems somewhat constant.

There are many exceptions. Some apps are better optimized for one platform than the other. For example, many games perform better in Windows. Many qt apps run better on Linux for me.

I don’t really thing there is an absolute answer here. It depends what you are doing and what kind of hardware you have.

3 Likes

I believe @mandog claims to have his Arch install running for over 10 years. Try that on Windows. Ha ha, not likely.

2 Likes

You are right since win7 upgraded to win10 it has broken 5-6 times on featurs updates luckily if you know what you are doing you can go back to the previous version and try and try again. But i had to do 3 clean installs. due to Ms not really understanding its idea off upgrading, the other problem with windows is it glogs its self up then slows down, Linus after 10+ years is as fast as when it was installed.

2 Likes

For me, most of my windows experiences have been with corporate laptops. Many corporate images include anti-virus, SCCM, remote help software, data sync to corporate file systems, data loss prevention software, and (I assume) spyware. Those systems seem laggy, and I am certain that any clean Linux install would fly on hardware that capable.

1 Like

I recently bought a Lenovo 520S 14iKB, with 8GiB of RAM & an 8th gen i5 CPU. It had Win10 on it. The thing was SO slow at everything. Booting up took forever, doing anything on the machine (using a browser too) was as if I was using a 386 CPU & 32Kb of RAM!

I was concerned about how the machine was going to run with Linux.

I installed Linux - MX17, & the thing absolutely flies - everywhere. You wouldn’t believe that it is the same machine. The difference in speed is HUGE. Not subtle at all.

So as far as I’m concerned (from my limited personal experience) Win10 runs like an old arthritic dog suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.

By comparison Linux (MX17 at the least) runs like it just had a shot of adrenaline straight into its heart! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So u have been using Linux since 99 and windows since 3.1 yet you still need an answer to the question? :thinking:

just as well you did the humane thing then and put it out of it’s misery :joy:

5 Likes

LOL
Yes, I want to get into it, to know how after 25 years MS still can’t beat Linux and such

'LLo,

In Redmondia, the tenth of the name is aging much better than its predecessors but without a violent tweaking, it puts OOTB (& without ssd) a certain time to start & I’m not even talking about the stop, pfuuu… :snail: :snail: :snail:

Linux was built from the ground up as a network/ing OS, whereas Windows never had that advantage and even now lacks what Linux has in that arena.

Linux makes use of only necessary services and handles RAM more efficiently, when properly implemented.

And not all Linux distributions feel so Snappy Khaki as Manjaro, either. Many load unnecessary drivers and start unneeded services in a hit-or-miss fashion, whereas Manjaro (fairly well) observes Archlinux’ KISS principle of simplicity of design and has tools to help the user keep it so.

And while not truly Arch, it is very much-so Arch-based, and that’s one heck of a place to start.

regards

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by