why iso not a real usb disk when it comes to bootable usb stick

the issue ---- Is there a TRUE REAL bootable usb stick , not an iso to burn to my 32GB usb stick and leaving all the remaining spaces unallocated and wasted?

details: ----
I have a desktop pc running ubuntu, now I want to install manjaro it.
I don't have an CD-drive on the pc, just like most of the others today. but I have a 32GB usb stick, which I used to copy photos, pictures, docs from other devices.
as what is described in the official manual, I can download the manjaro iso, burn it to my usb stick as ISO (so that it's bootable just like booting from CD drive). and it works ---- I mean, I got my manjaro installed in this way.

but, here comes the problem:
1, it turned my entire usb stick into a READ-ONLY ISO image! all the data on it got lost and I can no longer use it to copy data , the entire usb stick got turned into a READ-ONLY ISO which takes only 2.4GB of my 32GB usb stick, leaving all the remaining 27.8GB spaces unallocated and you know what, I cannot reuse it by creating partitions on it! ---- if I tried to create new partition on it, the usb mbr (or whatever the name is ---- I mean the very first sectors on the usb stick) got updated and the iso partition GONE! it simply cannot be both bootable and free for data-coping.

I think the root cause of the issue, is that, by nature, what manjaro provides, is a bootable-CD iso image for me to install from a CD-drive. it DOES NOT support booting from usb or harddisk.
but as I said at the begining, may of the users do not have a CD-drive on their pc, instead usb are well-supported.
so comes the solution on the official guide: burn the iso onto usb stick.

that works.
but, I mean, given usb is much more popular nowadays than CD-drive, why not provide TRUE bootable image (not iso) to write to ONE OF the partitions on the usb stick (with bootable information wrote to the very first sector just like a harddisk does). so that the rest part of the usb can be used.
why insisted on iso image.

Whine, whine, whine.

So use a smaller USB key, why doncha?

1 Like

Ouch that is to easy peasy Lol :alarm_clock:

2 Likes

These kids nowadays--far too spoiled. :wink:

1 Like

no

forum search will show more previous discussions about this

2 Likes

None of that has anything to do with what he's talking about. The unallocated space on a Manjaro USB is not accessible at all. He just wants to be able to utilize it to copy files to since it's not used by Manjaro.

How many stores sell 4GB USB sticks anymore? The minimum size I usually see is 16 or 32GB.

This is my 16GB USB drive with Manjaro GNOME created with SUSE Studio Imagewriter:

If one creates a Linux Mint USB for instance, the free space is accessible to copy files to.

1 Like

Actually you are wrong 4gb is sold by most manufactures they are not popular as they are more expensive than 16gb but are available,
But why would anybody want to use that argument when you can do a full install on a USB that is far better than persistent using casper and faster. if you want to go down that road and think of the horrendous boot times involved.

1 Like

A USB burner called unetbootin will allow persistent storage, but ONLY with Ubuntu...:frowning_face:

It is possible to create multi-use USB. A guide for it is available here

Spanish version:

2 Likes

Yes I know - very depressed guy :slight_smile: not like Achmed - that's something with a bang attached.

Every time a write Manajro on a stick - I see Jose

1 Like

Take him out for Taco's on Tues and he won't be so depressed. :wink:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by