Why is the site so often unreachable?

What you’re describing would most likely trigger a 500 / 503 error, not 504.

It’s more likely that either your hosting doesn’t have a reliable enough infrastructure to be able to handle the Manjaro traffic, or there’s some aspect of discourse that is phoning home on every request, and said home can’t keep up with all of our traffic. If Manjaro is being hosted on a cheaper droplet (I hope not!), then the latter is more likely.

Either way though, this is easily fixable by someone who could check the server logs, and respond accordingly. Upgrading hosting would not fix the issue unless they moved the server to a different server rack that for some reason had better internet connectivity and that was causing the issue. That doesn’t really fix the problem though, just masks it.

Either way though, It’s slowly driving me away from the forums. I only browse the forums for 5 minutes or so a day anymore because it’s basically just dead during the times I would normally use it.

Given the lack of activity recently, you are not the only one.

@scjet What jonathon said was correct, I was referring to the communictation problem I mentioned in that post.

Just now for maybe half an hour or so:
Either this:

502 Bad Gateway

nginx

or

Oops
The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We'll take a look at it.
No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site's feedback category.

Did you guys also have this? I could reach other sites just fine, even manajro.org. It’s only the forum.manjaro.org site which could not be opened.

ditto

forum.manjaro.org is hosted in the UK and manjaro.org in DE. @jonathon will check if the current resources are still enough for the forum. I had to restart the server to recover the forum. I just was online to notice it. Since we are #1 on Distrowatch more people are using this forum.

We will let you guys know when we have a proper solution for this.

can we pay distrowatch to tank our rating?

…i kid.

This looks to have been parts of the Discourse stack falling over, particularly the database.

These symptoms are the same as prior to the server upgrade - slower site response, 500 errors, restarts of server stack components.

I’ll contact Bytemark and ask whether we can have some more resource. :slight_smile:

FYI, here’s what has happened to page requests since moving to Discourse:

That’s 500k requests initially, going to ~1m with the DO server, then increasing to a peak of 3m last month. That would tie in with my observations:

[2018-05-13] Server maintenance

Wow, that’s a major increase in people.
Or to put it differently: That’s the price for success.

Do you think we can get more bandwidth to solve the problems? If it means the costs will be higher then we just have to raise funds to make it happen. I don’t think that will be a problem here on this forum.

I love that statistic :rofl:
XD

It sure is a highpoint.

Not only DW - n-tv.de also!

https://www.n-tv.de/technik/Die-drei-beliebtesten-Linux-Versionen-article20424339.html

New problem since today:

Searching the web for some words and click on the link gives me

Corrupted Content Error

The site at https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cannot-switch-to-testing/19684 has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Opening up the same page again loads the content.

Tested with NB and PC.

This can also happen if you happen to hit the site during a reload (e.g. after a component update).

today loading from bookmark a new error:

Beim Laden der Seite https://forum.manjaro.org/ wurde gegen das Netzwerkprotokoll verstoßen. Dieser Fehler kann nicht behoben werden.

Die Seite, die Sie anzusehen versuchen, kann nicht angezeigt werden, da ein Fehler in der Datenübertragung festgestellt wurde.

Loading the https://forum.manjaro.org/ page violated the network protocol. This error can not be resolved.

Very strange… - and ever, opening a second tab it works perfect.

dining (menu) because who over the cable, have so far no problems with the network :wink:

This is because the browser is trying to re-use expired session data, so the server refuses to complete the request.

“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.”

Okay, but the bookmark is set on
https://forum.manjaro.org/

Is this cause i’m permanent logged in?

Don’t think so, I use the same bookmark.
Do you clean your cookies?

You’ll still be closing your browser from time-to-time so it may be clearing some site data or caches at that point.

I can see it sometimes if I navigate to a different domain in the address bar and then press the Back button, but refreshing the page clears it. It might also be down to the way the Discourse front-end communicates with the back-end; the current/previous connection is “broken” but the browser is trying to reuse it.