Why is Manjaro as slow as Windows 10?

I switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu gnome, and then from Ubuntu gnome to Manjaro gnome, but both Manjaro and Ubuntu were about as slow (maybe even slower than Windows 10). The entire reason I switched to Linux was in order to speed up my laptop. I heard that Ubuntu was very bloated so I switched to Manjaro because it is supposedly lightweight. I mainly use it for web browsing and programming, I am not much of a gamer. I am using an HP stream 14 laptop.Why is my computer so slow with Linux? Is it related to my hardware? Are there any other faster easy-to-use Linux distributions?

Faster in what way? I had an HP stream 14 and it ran Linux pretty well given the limited CPU and RAM it possessed. Linux isn't magic, it doesn't make slow hardware fast.

What are you trying to do and what performance are you expecting?

2 Likes

Try the XFCE edition. Gnome is quite bloated compared to a lightweight desktop like XFCE.

3 Likes

Slow on startup? Slow when you work on it, opening applications? etc. etc.

Little more info would be appreciated :wink:

*edit : Oops... like Dalto said

3 Likes

It should still be faster than windows 10. For example web browsing should be faster because it should have less background processes.

How do I install xfce without erasing my disk?

Your laptop is a potato. I have one too. It runs alright with xfce, it can manage 4 Firefox tabs on a good day.

Its in the wiki, here's a good place to start.

2 Likes

Yeah, Is their a distro more optimized for this hardware, or should I swap disk space for RAM.

Manjaro has multiple editions optimized for low powered machines. Bspwm and openbox edition are really light and will practically fly on even older hardware. But if you are new to Linux, they might have a bit too hight learning curve. Lxde, lxqt and mate edition are probably what you want. I recommend choosing the minimal versions instead of the full profiles. This is because minimal profiles don't have snapd and app armor enabled, and those come with significant performance costs.

If you want entire distro optimized for lightness, try linux lite.

In general, manjaro is not optimized for performance, but instead for desktop responsiveness. Goal of manjaro is that the desktop environment should remain responsive even under heavy load. This costs a little pure performance, but in practice usually makes the desktop feel faster.

5 Likes

I think you're confusing distributions and desktop environments, but see the post above mine. You could try Xubuntu or Lubuntu if you want an Ubuntu based distro that will work well on that machine.

1 Like

This does not work for me. I ran the following command: sudo pacman -S xfce4-gtk3 xfce4-goodies xfce4-terminal network-manager-applet xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-gtk3 tumbler engrampa and restarted my pc, and it stayed in gnome.

The best if you are to Arch based Distros or entirely new to Linux itself, is to simply download and install the Xfce edition.

You're a fast reader. You need to choose which environment to use on the login screen. You also should have created a second user account before installing an additional desktop environment.

1 Like

How do I do that?

You reopen the link I gave you and read it properly this time.

3 Likes

Just do a fresh install, you're going to make a big mess of your system juggling DE's.

6 Likes

With xfce this time. You should look into Xubuntu too.

2 Likes

What kind of specs does your laptop have?
Currently on my pc a full install of the latest Manjaro KDE edition takes around 800MB when i'm not busy doing anything.
On the other hand when I was on Windows 10 the RAM usage never dropped below 2GB because of the thousands of background services that always kept on running.

1 Like

Manjaro KDE takes up 800MB of space?
Windows uses 2GB of RAM?

How much RAM does Manjaro KDE use?
How much Storage does Windows 10 take up?

Windows iso is 4GB and Manjaro KDE iso is 2.8GB.
The Manjaro kde edition minimal iso is 2.2GB

Oh sorry. I should have specified. Manajro kde takes 800 MB of RAM not storage

Windows's RAM usage on my pc never dropped below 2GB of usage on my pc. 2GB of RAM might not seem like a lot but if you have a underpowered laptop with 4GB of RAM daily tasks can become really laggy and applications unresponsive.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by