A good (and nice) dock for XFCE?

Hi,

I tried to set the default bottom panel as a dock but it’s not really usable (it’s seems to be only app shortcuts).
I red that, for an XFCE DE, DockbarX would be a good option… but it’s seems not supported currently (maybe it’s stable enough to be not updated for years :slightly_smiling_face:)

Which dock should I consider to have a stable / nice / handy dock on my XFCE environnement ?

If you search using pamac - you would get cairo-dock and plank in the extra repo.

1 Like

it’s seems to be only app shortcuts

I moved default panel to top of screen and created a shorter 2nd panel at bottom of screen instead of using a dock

Xfce panel preferences has a dropdown menu to switch between panel 0 and panel 1
And I can add any installed Xfce panel plugin to either panel
xfce:xfce4-panel:preferences [Xfce Docs]

I only moved Whisker menu and Log Out button to bottom panel. Most of the other launchers are for single applications, but some run a script to launch multiple apps

+1 for

…now known as GLX-dock, but still the same awesomeness!

Yeah I tried that but “launchers” are only shortcuts… I would like to have shortcuts for unlaunched apps and also all launched apps in there

I think you’ll like glx-dock. This is mine:

https://i.imgur.com/i8YIaN0.png

And remember: “nice” is highly subjective!

OK so glx-dock or plank…
Maybe a custom bottom panel (but it seems not very customizable)
But no vote for DockbarX :neutral_face:

I’ll try that soon :wink:

I wasn’t aware it was a contest.

The use of a dock is - just as any gui part - highly subjective - do your own test and draw your own conclusion.

That will give the result you want - not the result anyone else prefer.

I am using this and it works perfectly.
aur/xfce4-docklike-plugin

Thanks ! It seems to be the updated version of the previous DockbarX plugin (xfce4-dockbarx-plugin).

I have forgotten how I found it but I was on a Debian type if release
I saved it in my Downloads directory for later use but on Manjaro/Arch it was in the AUR.
I think that should be added to the Extra Repository. Just mho.

it seems not very customizable

I would like to have shortcuts for unlaunched apps and also all launched apps in there

Add The Window Buttons plugin to panel and turn off Show button labels
(optional) turn on Group windows by application

See also Window Menu and Notification Area plugins

I seem to recall a plugin that simulated a dock effect in Xfce; the name evades me, though. You will probably find something here that appeals to your taste. Cheers.

I seem to recall a plugin that simulated a dock effect in Xfce

AUR package xfce4-docklike-plugin

No, not that one, but probably similar. It has been a few years, and a few more beers, since I last used Xfce more than casually.