Why inxi sometimes shows X11, sometimes not?

Hi, i hope this section is the right one for this question.
After i reinstalled my system i noticed, that inxi -G no longer listed X11 as “Display Server:”, but N/A.
When looking at the “Dump your inxi -Fxzc0 here and bookmark it” - Thread i see that the “N/A” occurs more often in later times.
As i clearly have X11 installed, it would be interesting what is causing this and if this is an issue? (i currently have strange performance in war thunder and try to pin that down ^^)

Not seeing this here.
I still see the X.Org version display.

When you say “reinstalled” did you nuke it totally or just force an overlay install?

right, it’s not “X11” but "X.org"
And by reinstalled i meant a real fresh install, no /home carried over or anything

for clarification:
now:

~ >>> inxi -G                                                                                                                                                                               
Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
           Display Server: N/A drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting) tty size: 189x40

from an old posting of me:

~ >>> inxi -G 
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:67df
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 driver: amdgpu Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.17-2-MANJARO, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes

or is this related to the xrandr-message? does inxi need “xorg-xrandr” or “lib32-libxrandr”?

Is it possible, that you run inxi -G from the console without a graphical DE? Then comes the output

N/A - out of X

To run inxi -G into a console inside a DE (Plasma for example) then it works fine:

Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 version: 2.1 Mesa 17.1.4

regards
caho

nope, the output i gave is from running it in yakuake.
Just tested it in Konsole and with bash instead of zsh, but always the same

It’s an optional requirement for inxi, but it’s needed to display the display server information.
New installations don’t have this package by default anymore probably because it has been phased out. On older installed systems it is orphaned.

1 Like

ah, that would explain it ^^
but it wouldn’t hurt to install xorg-xrandr, right?

If you install it, then instead of N/A, inxi -G will show the display server information as before.

So bug report on this is needed, or are the dev’s already aware?

hm, interesting, now i really get X11 output ^^:

~ >>> inxi -G                                                                                                                                                                               
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.10.0 / 4.11.8-1-MANJARO, LLVM 4.0.1)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 17.1.4

the difference in OpenGL/GLX renderer should be negligible i assume?
I don’t geht “Direct Rendering: Yes” - is this also only because some info-tool is missing?

Strictly speaking it’s not a bug, it’s just that several xorg packages have been orphaned recently (and therefore apparently not included in the latest isos either), one of which was xorg-xrandr which is an optional requirement for inxi to show display server information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.