Why do so many people like ubuntu?

The late, great shipit.ubuntu.com

You got a professional looking disc, a live session (that your father could trust as an alternative to his virus-filled windows computer), and an installer that just worked (at least if you stuck to the defaults).

True dat! I almost forgot that Ubuntu discs were as prolific as AOL coasters. They were friggen everywhere.

“Respect Other Distributions and Operating Systems
Discussion of the pros and cons of other GNU/Linux distributions and operating systems is allowed. Maligning other GNU/Linux distributions, or any other operating systems is prohibited. The entire Manjaro team is happy to volunteer their time and energy to provide you with the Manjaro Linux distribution, documentation and forums. Kindly show respect toward the developers and volunteers of other distributions and operating systems as well. Views, experiences and opinions are always welcome, but unproductive slander is not.”
I did not know about this rule. It is a good one and one I need to remember. I sometimes forget the difference between opinion on some feature and slander. I will definitely make an effort to remember this one.

Its all linux apart from distro specific tools and polish they all use the same apps and the Linux Kernel.

Hi guys! New Manjaro user here! I just today installed it on my daughter’s computer, so she’s the actual user, but I got to play with it a little.

I’d like to try to explain my personal answer to the title question. I’m a long-time Ubuntu user. In fact, I used Ubuntu right from their first release. The Shipit disc service was how I got my start in Linux. I had gotten tired of Windows XP’s problems and started looking for alternatives, and found out about Linux. I tried to download SUSE first, but on my 56K modem, it would have taken 7 days! I then asked my brother, who lived in another state, to download and burn me a SUSE CD, since he had “high speed” DSL internet (I think it took his connection 7 hours still). He sent me the disc, and I found out that he didn’t know the difference between burning files to disc versus burning an image to disc.

Finally, I learned about Ubuntu. They were the new kid on the block, and they were willing to ship anywhere for free. So, I requested a copy, and while waiting the 6 weeks for it to arrive, tried other means. I actually did get a copy downloaded somehow. I can’t even remember how, but I had a burned Ubuntu disc before the Shipit disc pack arrived. I got it installed on my computer and dual-booted for a couple of years before getting rid of Windows from my home.

Okay, fast forward. I got faster internet at my house, and eventually became a distro hopper. I’ve tried dozens of distros, including all the top 10 on Distrowatch, as well as several others. All of them disappointed me, and I kept running back to Ubuntu, which mostly “just worked” for me. Even Mint, which was at the time claiming to be the “better Ubuntu” had trouble with printer sharing and weird glitches with system updates, and really was no easier for my family to use. I stopped hopping a few years ago and have been with Ubuntu since.

Just recently, with Ubuntu 18.04 having login glitches on both my desktop and my wife’s laptop, I decided to try something different again. That’s why my daughter’s desktop has Manjaro. In my limited experience, Ubuntu already (still) has Manjaro beat in ease of install and intuitive simplicity of use. If Ubuntu straightens up and flies right, I may just keep my computers as they are for a while. But, Ubuntu has been losing a lot of configurability in the last several years, and Manjaro claims to be very configurable. If Manjaro impresses us, I might move all of our computers over. So, it can go either way.

Here is why:
Early Ubuntu fixed some structural problems that Linux Distributions had and rolled many of the best features from other distros into one consistent package:

• They offered a Live-CD for trying it out
  • They sent out the CD’s for free when downloading did matter
  • They made installing from the Live CD dead easy
  • The hardware recognition was always quite good
  • They almost immediately had a VERY decent documentation/wiki out (it’s still nice)
  • They made integrating other software repositories quite easy (PPA)
  • They offered a (relatively) sane upgrade path
  • They released their versions in a predicable manner with predictable support times
  • They offered LTS releases

So there is a lot to like in the Ubuntu ecosystem. I am not saying that they invented all of the above, but definitely they brought all that together.

Then came GNOME3 … then came Unity … (together with KDE4 I recall this time as the Linux Desktop crisis) and Mint came and was like Ubuntu done right again. Now after Unity had matured into a rather decent DE, they depreciated it :man_facepalming: … So if you ask me why so many people today like Ubuntu … I have more difficulties to answer this, since the entire package is (a) partly no longer offered by Ubuntu but (b) offered by others as well.

I don’t mind ubuntu or people running it, in fact I find it encouraging that some has chosen to move on from windows to linux - no matter what distro they pick.

I took my baby steps in linux with redhat 25 odd years ago and failed miseably, just couldn’t get the hang of it. My break through came when installing ubuntu 8 or 9 on a spare laptop and getting to grips with that, while running windows xp on my main system. A few years later microsoft wanted me to upgrade to vista, so I took the plunge and abandoned windows entirely in favor of ubuntu 9. A couple of years later ubuntu ditches gnome and tried to force unity on me, which made find manjaro instead.

It’s been manjaro and xfce on my main pc ever since, ubuntu server on my servers and currently xubuntu on my laptop. My laptop tends to end up with whatever happens to be on the first usb stick I find in my drawer.

I have no hard feelings about what distro people prefer, anyone who’s seen the light and moved away from the dark side is a friend of mine…

They’re used to it. If you take a look, most of the user-friendly distros out there are Debian or Ubuntu based distro, and ppa is very usual, it’s part of the system usage.
I know that some distros like Deepin and elementaryOS do not use them, but you can enable it with some tweaking.
Some people say that PPA is basically the same as using AUR. You need to know what you’re doing.

Very diffent i’m afraid to say you go to some web site enable the link install no checks no keys then you can get infected as has already happened in ubuntu, not even sandboxed like Flatpak they are the real deal.

I agree PPA’s aren’t like the AUR. Although in theory they may seem similar, in practice, PPA’s seemed way more disorganized. Anybody could set up a website and say "hey this is the ppa for <insert popular package here>" and how could anyone know otherwise? At least in the AUR if someone finds a malicious package they can flag it or leave a comment or something.

This makes me feel seriously old. Ubuntu has only been around since 2004. Slackware feels more like a “classic” Linux distro to me :wink:

Back tot he topic, Ubuntu, in it’s prime, was a great version of Linux. As someone above pointed out, it pulled a lot of things together nicely that hadn’t all been in one easy to access package. It took many of the things that made debian great and added a more current package library.

These days, I think it is more name recognition and familiarity than anything else as there are many that are, IMO, better. Including some derivatives of Ubuntu.

That being said, at the end of the day, it is all Linux. If people are satisfied running ubuntu than I don’t feel the need to convince them to use something else. I would much rather spend time getting a windows or osx user to convert to linux than trying to convince someone to switch from one distro to another.

Amen. Sing it, bruther! :smiley:

I’m not too sure about that anymore. What do you call WSL?

A Linux emulator?

.ENIW ti llac I

Figuares show between 30-40 million do, where does that leave Manjaro then 001% maybe?
Not that I would ever use Ubuntu mind you

.001% of 40 million leaves Manjaro with 100% of the cool people.

Or maybe not so cool depending on which side of the fence you are on. :tada:

I feel like Manjaro more or less pushes the limits of how beautiful and simple Linux can be

This is why distro envy is such a ugly thing sometimes though.
I mean its one thing to poke fun at another distro but I never look down on those who use other distros than what i do.
Then again this is coming from a distro hopper who likes many linux distros.
All have pros and cons

I have used Ubuntu for the last 15 years or so. I distro hop too a while ago. I am not a programmer, nor study anything computer related even thought it was my second option. I do have a knack for computers/technology and I know how to follow online tutorials and troubleshoot my own problems, not afraid of using the Terminal as long it is easily explained the steps. So why did I keep returning to Ubuntu after distro hopping? Why I still have 2 laptops with it (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and most recent Kubuntu 18.04 LTS)?

• Because of the community support.
  • Bc of the availability of not mainstream software with only support for .deb package or is the most supported.
  • Bc when I don’t understand a tutorial, there is probably another tutorial that explains it differently that I can understand how to troubleshoot better.
  • Bc The name and meaning of Ubuntu sounds cool.

Now I am trying Manjaro for the fist time. Avoiding the Ubuntu version upgrade breaking things so I am expecting Manjaro with its rolling releases be easier to troubleshoot leaving behind needing to reinstall Ubuntu on every upgrade every 6 months.
PD. All other distros (never tried arch base) gave me more frequent issues than Ubuntu ever gave me. Never liked the old visual style (eye candy) of Linux Mint Mate or Cinnamon either.