Why are non-US keyboards not supported while prompting for decryption?

What has the efi-stub todo with keyboard layouts :thinking:
The used layout is used by the software asking for the input, which is not the efi-stub :wink:

Exactly :+1:

The point is, if you keep to the topic, is the characters interpreted for the password input by the user, which does not use the key-codes but instead uses the produced charā€¦

When it comes to Grub, yes they need to add support for it, just like they did when they made Grub able to decrypt partitions :wink:
Need by users makes devs implement stuff, unless they keep saying ā€œI donā€™t mind cause i donā€™t use itā€ā€¦

They could just add another module you can load, like the other modules they use now.
Ofcourse a bit problematic if distroā€™s keep installing grub in /boot instead of the ESPā€¦

I donā€™t know why Ubuntu and some other distros donā€™t have this issue. However this doesnā€™t seem to be exclusive to Manjaro. Endeavour OS have the same problem.

It seems like the issue comes from upstream Calamares or GRUB. There is indeed an active discussion on the upstream Calamares repo, with someone willing to tackle this.

I donā€™t think that this discussion is relevant to Manjaro.

While this might be hard to implement, i also think more kbd layouts should be available in the future. Maybe not now but at some point. It is the only logical thing to do in a OS that should be used outside US :slight_smile:

That said, i think the Manjaro Team is underestimating the impact of the issue. And the issue is not only with the encryption, it is with the logon (there is en-us indicator on login screen but clicking on it does nothing). I am pretty sure some users were stuck and had to reinstall on the first login because of this. Yes, ā€œcommon senseā€, use passwords in english, but come onā€¦it is 2023 now, not 1993.

The solution if you cannot fix the early boot stages and the login of the OS is at least to sanitize the input field and to warn the user in Calamares installer in the live ISO, or at the very least you must add a note / explanation / warning in Calamares interface where the ā€œchoose a password to keep your account safeā€ field is. Adding another sentence there will take like 30 seconds.

I did a very recent test install using luks encryption using danish input and the subsequent restart inputting the password using danish keyboard layout worked.

I suspect it is a bi-product of the recent plymouth boot splash implementation as it is plymouth which is handling the password prompt.

I have to take this back. I discovered today, the small language menu in LightDM greeter actually works. But it uses the default manjaro touchpad behavior and you have to press the touchpad and not just tapā€¦

@Cl00e9ment A French-Canadian guy had a similar problem with Mabox.
https://forum.maboxlinux.org/t/solved-luks-passphrase-wrong-keyboard-language/1003/17
As far as I remember if you are not on BTRFS and ready to give a shot to switch to systemd-boot
https://forum.xerolinux.xyz/thread-166.html
you have a chance to a workaround.
There were successful tests with Mabox which is a Manjaro descendant AFAIK.
So say farewell to GRUB if this keyboard layout problem is so important to you.

@Teo This is not a character issue, but a keyboard layout issue (placement of keys). Using English passwords doesnā€™t fix the issue.

@anoap Thanks for your help, but I made a radical fix. I was fed up of softwares not supporting non-US keyboards so I switched to an international QWERTY months ago. Since QWERTY is often the default, it also saves setup time. Itā€™s a solution that works for me but will not fit everyone.