Why all these questions in the package manager asking if I want to keep the old instead of the new?

If not sure, my advice is to chancel it, wait two days, check back here if any other complaints about the update. If nothing specific broke, go ahead and update or/and always have a knowing fallback Kernel.

I tell my partner to confirm the default, which is usually what I do, anyway. I’ve never had any issues with YES.

The only time that might be a problem replacing the old config file with a new one is if you have made changes you would like to keep.

2 Likes

Oops, I just did another update and this time all the questions were gone.
So, why were the questions there before and why are they suddenly removed?
Have the developers realized that they can make the change without having to ask users questions about keeping an old file or not?

[philip@Aspire7 ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core 145,4 KiB 335 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
extra 8,6 MiB 13,3 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
community 29,0 B 439 B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
multilib 143,6 KiB 1544 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do

I think you need to check your pacnew files (pacdiff -o to list them), as the “community” repo has been gone for half a year (at least), so you very likely have old/outdated configuration files in your system.

I always (well, 999 times out of 1000) go for the default choice when asked to replace a package during an update. Usually it just means that the original package has been renamed, or rolled into another, or replaced by something that will do the job better. For example, most of the KDE Plasma 5 packages had a “5” added to their name last year in anticipation of the release of Plasma 6 (due at the end of February 2024).

[philip@Aspire7 ~]$ pacdiff -o
/etc/clamav/clamd.conf.pacnew
/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme.pacnew
/etc/shells.pacnew
/etc/locale.gen.pacnew
/etc/default/grub.pacnew
/etc/pamac.conf.pacnew
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.pacnew
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
/etc/pacman.conf.pacnew

Is there a command for updating the pacnew files ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

MY advice is

Continuing the discussion from Why is the community repo missing?:

This recent post also includes some of the ‘easier’ options and additional hooks

2 Likes

unlikely - but we just have not seen what the questions where before whatever you did to have this result right now
no way to find out what held you up

Is not the configurationfiles updated when I do a regular update to the system with :
sudo pacman -Syyu

How do I update the configuration file for the “community” repo ?

You should not be using the double-y in general use. sudo pacman -Syu is enough.

ALPM (pacman) wont overwrite files you have edited.
If they match upstream exactly … then they will simply be overwritten, as with all the other pieces of the filesystem.
But when there is a difference … say you added a repo to your /etc/pacman.conf … then when that file should be updated instead a pacnew file is created.
It is then your responsibility to compare the files and merge the new changes.
All of this is covered in the links provided above.

Lets take this example.

/etc/pacman.conf.pacnew was created for this expressed purpose.
Use any of the methods above (or, even manually do it yourself … but that wont help with all the other pacnews) to compare that file to your existing /etc/pacman.conf.
The difference you will notice is the absence of the [community] entry in the file.
Your /etc/pacman.conf should reflect this. That is … that section should be deleted.
When that is done, the reference pacnew file can likewise be removed.
You have now ‘handled a pacnew’.

In this case … it affects your package manager and available repositories … so we can use pacman tools to clean that up (yes to remove unused repos);

sudo pacman -Sc

And do the sync upgrade thing (and notice the lack of [community])

sudo pacman -Syu
2 Likes

This thread quickly became very difficult and complex for me.
Never thought it would be.
In this respect, I like windowsupdate much better, which just takes care of all the updating of the system automatically.

Ive given you 3 or more differently worded guides. Besides the upstream documentation.

I guess the absolute simplest I can make it is …

sudo pacman -Syu manjaro-pacnew-checker
pacnew-checker

I do not endorse this software and would not use it.
(and have not reviewed it recently for better or worse)
But I really dont know what else to offer.

Heres the thread of it

PS.
If you refuse to take the time to learn what this all means and, for example, simply overwrite all current files wit their pacnew counterparts do expect your system to break.

2 Likes

I have no problem using the commands in the terminal and prefer to avoid the GUI.

Then what is the problem?

pacdiff -s

The only problem is really that I have to understand how it works and that is why I am applying to this forum.

And I like the KISS principle very much.

I will try to highlight the most recent explanation in both english and portuguese.

The above commands would help you accomplish this.
By using pacdiff in conjunction with a ‘comparison tool’.
By default that comparison tool is vim, which is considered difficult, if even installed.
We can also define what tool by using an environment variable.
On a single line it may be

DIFFPROG=/usr/bin/meld pacdiff -s

Tentarei destacar a explicação mais recente em inglês e português.

Os comandos acima ajudariam você a conseguir isso.
Usando pacdiff em conjunto com uma ‘ferramenta de comparação’.
Por padrão, essa ferramenta de comparação é o vim, que é considerado difícil, mesmo que instalado.
Também podemos definir qual ferramenta usando uma variável de ambiente.
Em uma única linha pode ser

DIFFPROG=/usr/bin/meld pacdiff -s

Why on portuguese ?

English is fine …

Also, could you please confirm which kernel you are currently using (uname -r in a terminal)? Your user profile says you are on 5.8.3-2-MANJARO, which is unsupported and went end-of-life in 2020.

I’m very much hoping that you have just omitted to update your forum profile (Summary - phmo - Manjaro Linux Forum) since you first joined, and that you are not running something so long out of date and which has not received any security patches for more than 3 years:
Screenshot_20240121_133313

Sorry, guess I mixed it with another poster that had mentioned english was not first language. :sweat_smile:

My Kernel is now:

6.1.71-1-MANJARO

1 Like

How about this (meld required):

sudo DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff

It displays all pacnew-files one after the other and offers options.

1 Like