Who owns /etc/default/keyboard and how is it used in Manjaro?

In Manjaro, where does /etc/default/keyboard come from and how is it used?

• pacman -Fx etc/default/keyboard || echo 'No package owns this file'

No package owns this file

• cat /etc/default/keyboard | head -n3

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

• man 5 keyboard

No manual entry for keyboard in section 5

I didn’t find the man page in the arch online man pages either. However, I did find it in the ubuntu online man pages.

I have access to an arch machine and it does not have this file. I found 1 search result in the current Manjaro forum and 26 in the archived.

I was just reviewing when to use this file vs setxkbmap vs xmodmap vs gsettings options, for example:

gsettings list-recursively  org.gnome.desktop.input-sources | column -t
gsettings list-recursively  org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard | column -t

If i’m not mistaken is created by calamares during the install, same as the locale file in the same directory, also, i think those are all system wide generic config files.

1 Like

I also have an Arch machine - and I do have that file.
Probably because I configured my keyboard language and did not use the default english.

Perhaps these things make it more clear what it is (for) and where it comes from:

keyboard(5) — keyboard-configuration — Debian testing — Debian Manpages

X keyboard extension - ArchWiki

Debian: change the keyboard layout from the console - Benohead's Software Blog

1 Like

Not all files are installed by packages - they are created on the fly so to speak.

They are created at install time or because an application need it.

A prominent example is the samba configuration file - it must exist for samba to work at the same time it must be created by hand.

You can find a lot of examples on files which must be created and edited by hand - if you do a manual hands-on installation of Manjaro you must create and populate files like vconsole.conf and locale.conf just to mention a few.

1 Like