Where's the .bashrc for Dolphin's built in terminal?

It doesn't seem like Dolphin's built in terminal reads my .bashrc or .bash_profile. I need to source them in order to access my settings.

Is there a similar control file for Dolphin's terminal?

1 Like

The terminal emulator built into Dolphin is the exact same one as used by Yakuake and Konsole, and it should therefore use ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile. It certainly does so on my system here.

Are you or have you perhaps been using another shell earlier ─ e.g. zsh or fish? :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I ran echo $SHELL and Dolphin terminal is indeed /bin/bash , same as Yakuake and Konsole.

On a closer look, it seems like Dolphin is reading an older copy of my .bashrc, since it's picking up my aliases and PS1 prompt. Maybe it copies and stores .bashrc? I don't understand why, though. I added a few echo lines throughout the file to debug, and it won't print these. These lines print in Yakuake and Konsole.

Close dolphin and start new.

Are you reloading .bashrc after you change it?

Try source ~/.bashrc

EDIT: That is what you are doing now......hmm

When I saw your post, my first instinct was "do they think I'm an idiot?"

Well, I'm an idiot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Closing dolphin didn't quite suffice, though. I'm guessing there are some other background methods running that may prevent dolphin from reloading the shell. Not sure how that makes sense, though, as I thought closing the dolphin window closed those terminals. Maybe not.
Anyway, the appropriate .bashrc is now being read after rebooting and pkilling dolphin.

1 Like

Just for the record, every instance of a terminal emulator that you start ─ whether it's Yakuake, Konsole or the built-in terminal of Dolphin ─ starts off as a separate instance, and always loads its configuration from the pertinent dot files upon starting. By consequence, what happens in one terminal window does not affect the runtime environment of the other terminal environments. They are isolated processes.

The one thing where this differs is when you close a terminal window, because upon closing it, it will write its in-memory history to the shell's history file ─ in this case, ~/.bash_history.

1 Like