Where is the best place to post questions regarding installing Windows 10 under QEMU?

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 10 under QEMU (and virt-manager). I am having some issues with it. Where would be the best place to possibly ask questions?

Obviously I am running Manjaro, but this seems to be something that is more QEMU/Windows10/Virt-manager specific than Manjaro specific.

Thanks.

Hello,

AFAIK you are fine here. Or post in #newbies
But the best place to get aquatinted with QEMU is here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU

So, later you can mention in your comment at what step you got stuck.

1 Like

Does this type question really require a solution from a Linux forum? Should I ask Ford with help repairing my Chevy?

1 Like

bogdancovaciu,

Thank you for the link. I will spend a little time trying to get antiquated with QEMU and see if that helps me figure out where I am having difficulties.

I have been able to install virt-manager and QEMU and I can successfully create a new virtual machine and install a flavor of Linux.

But when I try to install Windows 10 it appears that the install disk (the CDROM) loses connection to the windows 10 iso. I am following these instructions:

https://dennisnotes.com/note/20180614-ubuntu-18.04-qemu-setup/

as well as:

But in neither case does the installation stop like mine does (I get an error similar to this document: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/a-media-driver-your-computer-needs-is-missing/) right after I click the install button. When I look at the virtual CDROM drives they appear to no longer have the windows 10 iso loaded.

The reason I didn't ask the question here directly is mostly because it seems like an intersection between QEMU and Windows 10, but I am lost as to where I would actually ask the question. I appreciate the response. Thanks.

c00ter,

Where I live, if I walked into a local Ford dealer and asked them where I could get my Chevy serviced (especially if I additionally drove a Ford as my daily driver), they would happily point me in the right direction. Perhaps it is different where you live.

Baaah... You kids and your fancy schmancy Virtual Machines!!!

Why back in the day if ya couldn put yer hand on'er when buyin somethin then there was some kind of bamboozle goin on.

You kids an yer VM's, if you want to build an imaginary machine at least learn ta fix'er yerself.

3 Likes

Well, I suppose some folks might need to, but they generally aren't intelligent enough to run Linux. Or not for long, I would guess.

Or--let me put it this way. The long-term Linux users I know would not need to do so. Go chew on that for a while. :wink:

1 Like

It is more than likely a qemu issue and not a windows issue.

I would ask on a qemu specific forum if one exists. I also wouldn't use tutorials from a 2 year old version of ubuntu that probably has a totally different version of qemu than manjaro.

Thanks. That was what I suspected. I am trying to find the correct forum for QEMU questions.

There are strangely few up to date tutorials for installing windows 10 in virt-manager. I did find some (and I thought I had linked to the one I found but I guess I picked the wrong tab). Generally they all give the same advice.

If I figure this out, I'll report back in this forum on this thread.

No thanks.

Make sure the iso is not on a partition that will get attached to the "guest". In that case the partition will be unmounted from "host", hence the iso not available ...

1 Like

Renault dealer...

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by