When will the next stable update arrive?

Any releasedate for the next update? I am on an EOL Kernel, the latest 5.15 makes problems.

I am new to manjaro and thought updates were rolled out every two weeks.

Switch to a LTS kernel, this will solve your EOL kernel issue. Or are you sure that a update will fix your issue? Switch to testing is an option, update in testing branch from today. More info on branches / release process.

1 Like

Or are you sure that a update will fix your issue?

I think so. 5.15.2 is a problem for me.

I set up manjaro in November (5.14.15 ) with btrfs and timeshift for snapshots. As far as I know, with btrfs the kernel should not be downgraded because the filesystem is still under heavy development. Or do you know for sure that it works?

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Changelog

Shortly after the release on Nov. 19, kernel 5.15.4 was in testing and I thought a bugfix would be released soon. I read the update philosophy (fast tracking security).

Now over three weeks later 5.15.6 is being tested and Tiger Lake users still don’t have a working supported kernel.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to knock manjaro. I use it for free and if I want to use stable software as a user I may have to go back to using Debian (previously used for about ten years). Such a bug of not having a supported kernel would not have existed with Debian.

No misunderstandings: I am not the reporter on freedesktop. I just bought myself to a nice new laptop from Tuxedo with i7-1165G7 and Iris Xe for my birthday. :slight_smile: Since I have heard only good things about Manjaro and wanted to try Rollig Release I installed Manjaro.

3 Likes

Testing branch has this kernel, so to test if your issue is solved you could switch and switch back.

Since you are able to find this specific issue and link it you look capable to solve any issues.

I’m not entirely sure, but since you have snapshots and timeshift setup the rollback should be easy, it is in de default installation so it is deemed stable. I’m on ext4 so cannot advise on personal experience.

Those tuxedo laptops look real nice!

1 Like

Testing branch has this kernel, so to test if your issue is solved you could switch and switch back. Since you are able to find this specific issue and link it you look capable to solve any issues.

I know, but I don’t want to use testing. Maybe there are other problems. I need my laptop as a daily driver.

I’m not entirely sure, but since you have snapshots and timeshift setup the rollback should be easy, it is in de default installation so it is deemed stable. I’m on ext4 so cannot advise on personal experience.

I don’t know either. I have to do the following to get a supported LTS kernel: Kernel downgrade from 5.14 to 5.10. If the driver of 5.10 does not work with the filesystem of 5.14, so it creates a corrupt filesystem. Does the snapshot still work? I don’t like to try it, is too dangerous for me. I was already lucky to be able to downgrade from 5.15.2 back to 5.14.18.

Those tuxedo laptops look real nice!

I also like the device very much. :slight_smile: There is also the “tuxedo-control-center” in the Manjaro repros.

Back to my question, is there a usual stable update period with Manjaro? Once a month or otherwise?

No, W.I.R (when it’s ready). As mentioned before, switching branches would be your best option. Unstable is pretty close to Vanilla Arch and has some kind of update on a daily basis. Testing is a bit behind unstable and stable farther along. Due to a very limited sample of users in testing and unstable branches, sometimes stable might have “deal breaker” issue on occasion. Such is the nature of a (curated) rolling release.

1 Like

Switching the kernel will not corrupt the filesystem !

• Because the layout of btrfs is stable since a few years.
  • Sometimes i do this twice a week (between 5.10 and 5.15)
  • I even did use 4.19 at times and did switch regularly

I do use btrfs in production since 2015/16

2 Likes

I must mention that switching kernels in Manjaro is not a downgrading. You just select which to boot to in grub, there’s no “uninstall” effect in doing so. Next time you see grub menu you’ll be able to choose 5.14 again, just don’t remove it manually, of course.

1 Like

When it’s ready.

There is no fixed schedule.

As others has said, if you need the newer packages, you should switch to Testing or Unstable branch. Unstable Manjaro Branch = Arch Stable Branch