When waking up from sleep, keyboard does not work, unless I open up a terminal and type

As the title says, recently whenever I wake my computer from sleep (I can only use the power button, before any keyboard key would wake the laptop), the keyboard does not seem to work in any application, except the terminal, and once I’ve typed as much as one character in the terminal, the keyboard will work in any other application.

The issue is kind of annoying, because I’m used to using keyboard shortcuts for most stuff, and the mouse on this old laptop is not the best. It’s just an inconvenience, and it would be nice to figure out how to fix it.

What I have done to try and fix it:

• Wait a while to see if the keyboard works (does not work)
  • Press the cap locks key to see if it works (cap lock light goes on, but doesn’t make the keyboard work)
  • I’ve tried typing characters in Firefox, LibreOffice, and a text program, and none of them work before I use the terminal to type a character
  • I have tried using any combination of keyboard shortcuts, none of which work

Thank you for the help. As a note, it is an old Toshiba laptop, and this is a new issue that I did not have before, however now that I mention it, before I used to close my laptop to put it to sleep, and now I press the power button, click sleep, and leave the laptop open. I will do some testing to see if the issue is nonexistent when I close the laptop cover, however I don’t like doing this, as it takes closing it twice for it to go to sleep (close lid, open lid, close lid ⇒ sleep). Ideally I would be able to fix the keyboard problem, so I can still put it to sleep using the power button and menu option.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

• An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

• The fist thing you type to wake up the keyboard is

sudo dmesg | tail --lines=40

and provide that output as well.

• when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

:+1: