When to change/upgrade kernels?

Hello! I can see that new kernal upgrades are available. I’m using a computer with rather new hardware, and it’s indicating that 5.10.49 is the recommended one. However, the desktop environment has also been crashing from time to time.
Would this warrant trying newer versions? What would be a good reason to try or upgrade to something like versions 5.12 or 5.13?
Thanks,

Hello and welcome to Manjaro!

You can have multiple kernels installed at the same time. 5.10 is the current LTS kernel which should give you least issues on the long run, but you can also try others. Installed kernels will automatically be updated to their current versions via the system updates.

You can find more info about kernels here Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro

Also always make sure to read the update announcements before doing a system update (assuming you are on the stable branch: Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

That way you will notice when kernels become EOL and have to be removed.

3 Likes

If you’re going to use Linux, please learn how to spell KERNEL.

I personally upgrade my Kernel asnp a new one come, for example atm I’m running 5.13, I do not recommend you to use the “experimental” version too either unless you know what you are doing… To say that I always as two kernels installed really the 5.10 LTS ( stables as) and the latest one that I used daily! Hope this helps!

1 Like

Read their changelog and see if your hardware can benefit from the new kernels. Usually what newer kernels bring that older kernels won’t get is new hardware compatibility. For instance, Ryzen 5000 series need kernel 5.10+ to work well. You won’t be able to get it with any older kernel versions even if they’re LTS as well. Some other hardware like wireless card and touchpad problems may also be fixed by upgrading kernel.

It’s not always about hardware, though. Any security and performance related improvements are possible, again read the changelog, that’s the only way you will know. As a little best practice, install always 2 kernels: latest LTS and latest stable. As long as latest stable works, use that. When it breaks, fallback to LTS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.