Pacman Mirrors are Slow something has to change

What a mess these mirrors are, slow 90% of the time even local region mirrors and thats after " fast tracking and trying all the wiki procedures. This is the only distribution that consistantly is super slow @ updating, what a mess and it’s on manjaros’ end not mine even when waiting for a day after big update

Never had any problems with ‘slow’ mirrors.

1 Like

Could you elaborate about the slowness and give some examples?

Like Lunix, I also do not have a problem with mirrors.

What is the output of pacman-mirrors and what command have you used to set it up?

Mirror #1 – 00:37 United_States Index of /pub/manjaro
Mirror #2 – 04:44 United_States Index of /manjaro/
Mirror #3 – 00:37 United_States Index of /manjaro/
Mirror #4 – 01:44 United_States Index of /manjaro/

I have, but that’s usually quickly remedied by interrupting the download ─ not the update process! ─ with Ctrl+C, running… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

… and then running… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman -Syyu

Note for the n00bs: You do have to use -Syyu ─ with a double “y” ─ after refreshing the mirrors.

1 Like

[sudo] password for wirefox:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                  168.9 KiB   260 KiB/s 00:01
 extra                1918.4 KiB   348 KiB/s 00:06
 community               6.8 MiB   170 KiB/s 00:41
 multilib              176.5 KiB  62.6 KiB/s 00:03
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

pacman-mirrors has no influence on the responsiveness of mirrors. pacman-mirrors measures the mirrors by downloading the core database - and it will only offer mirrors which is up-to-date. When the stable update rolls out - it is expected that mirrors is under larger pressure.

I will have to disappoint you - it is not Manjaro.

Manjaro only runs the primary repo server from which other mirrors sync. Only mirrors are allowed to sync from that server. You could try specifiying the Global as your selected country as this points to cdn77 which is a global content delivery network.

All mirrors are voluntary - Manjaro has no influence on the quality of any mirror.

Which ever mirror you use it is your decision.

You can either choose to accept the biweekly pamac initiated rewrite of the mirrorlist or you can choose a mirror which provides a stable experience for your use case.

Either way it is your decision.

Use the Manjaro CDN and you should be good.

sudo pacman-mirrors -c Global
sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

Substandard system apparently

Addressing slow mirrors here is probably not the right place.

Get into contact with your network provider and / or the mirror maintainer to check if something can be done.

As pointed out, the mirrors are run as a free service and completely voluntary.

1 Like

This thread is going nowhere, and the OP is obviously only seeking to whine, rather than remedy his situation.