Manjaro installation problem

Hello!
I would like to prepare myself a suitable programming position.
For this fact I would like to put a manjaro system next to my windows.
A fellow programmer recommended xfce to me.

I have:
ssd - windows system
hdd drive: windows files: (D:) 318 GB, (E:) 465 GB and: 150 GB of free space for manjaro.

now let’s move on to the problem:
when I am already in Manjaro and go through the language and localization selection process, I have to choose how I want to install the system.
the tutorials say I should use the manual option, so I do.
now I have 3 seats taken out of 4 possible (300mb of something, 465gb, 318gb and 150gb of free space).

first question: Is it possible to do a manjaro using only 1 free space, or do I have to connect the E drive with the D drive to make extra space?

Continuing:

When I allocate a free space for manjaro and clicks next, I get the following message:

Option to use GPT on BIOS

A GPT partition table is the best option for all systems. This installer supports such a setup for BIOS systems too.

To configure a GPT partition table on BIOS, (if not done so already) go back and set the partition table to GPT, next create 8 MB unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag enabled.

An unformatted 8 MB partition is necessary to start Manjaro on a BIOS system with GPT.

And when I click OK and try to enter my name, my installation window crashes.

Would someone be able to help me?

Regards and thanks in advance! <3

Hello @croitek :slight_smile:

First to clarify what you have, please boot a live session of Manjaro and open a terminal:

Partitioning:

sudo parted -l

EFI or BIOS?

test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios

Please post it here as code with ~~~ at top and bottom:

~~~
output
~~~
becomes :arrow_down:

output

Sure, Manjaro can be installed on only one partition and it is possible to reuse the efi partition of windows, but create a extra efi partition, because in the past windows likes to recreate this partition on updates and that breaks Manjaro. “connect the E drive with the D drive” or what ever you mean by this, is not necessary.

Probably you have a GPT Partition Table and use a BIOS System? See the commands above for clarification.

1 Like

Hello!
Thank you for your response.

sudo parted -l

answer:

Model: ATA KINGSTON SV300S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  119GB  119GB  primary  ntfs
 2      119GB   120GB  564MB  primary  ntfs         msftres

Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8053MB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1040kB  8053MB  8052MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba

second command:

test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios

answer: bios

All your questions are answered here! :smiley:

I mean my HDD can only hold 4 partitions (3 busy, 1 free)
Hence the question is whether partitions E and D should be combined so that there is one partition extra and have 2 partitions for manjaro.

Thank you again for your time! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I forgot that I just unplugged the 1tb HDD. I will connect it in a moment and send the commands again.

That’s not correct, on an msdos parted disk (with MBR) you can realize an extended partition and have many logical partitions inside, more than you will need. Manjaro can be installed on a logical partition as well. With other words it’s also an option to keep the disk in msdos mode.

References:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Partitioning

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Some_basics_of_MBR_v/s_GPT_and_BIOS_v/s_UEFI

2 Likes

Ah see, it is a limitation of the MS-DOS Partition Table. You could bypass that by creating a extended partition. There you can put as many logical partitions as you need. But however…

MS-DOS + BIOS needs only one partition (you can create more, but not necessary). Commonly the ext4 filesystem is used here.

Keep in mind, if you install Manjaro on the same HDD which is used by Windows also, then the MBR (Master Boot Record) will be overwritten and Grub will boot Manjaro and Windows.

That is weird… You can try to start calamares (the installer) in debug mode:

sudo calamares -d

Then you can see in the terminal why it crashes exactly. Please try to install again and post the log here. Thanks.

1 Like
Model: ATA KINGSTON SV300S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  119GB  119GB  primary  ntfs
 2      119GB   120GB  564MB  primary  ntfs         msftres

Model: ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  368MB   367MB  primary  ntfs         boot
 2      368MB   343GB   342GB  primary  ntfs
 3      500GB   1000GB  500GB  primary  ntfs

Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 8053MB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1040kB  8053MB  8052MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba

that’s first command, second has the same answer (bios)

I sent the logs above, that’s what it was, right?

is anything else needed? c:

oh, i got it.
sorry i just use the terminal the first time.
this time I gave manjaro 150gb and gave him a mount point ‘/’ and it worked (no crash), even there was no message I sent about gpt earlier

1 Like

what do you mean exactly? I have the system installed on ssd, and the hdd part is dedicated to downloaded files.

basically what do I have to do next? install manjaro in 150gb of free space to do just mount point “/” and that’s it?

Ok, you installed Manjaro on /dev/sda3 (SCSI Device A Partition 3), then normally the Installer (over)writes the MBR on /dev/sda. If this one was used to boot with windows only, it will now boot Manjaro and therefore Grub only (which can boot Windows also).

Basically yes. Done. If you followed the whole process and click on finish/proceed, then yes.

Check the partitioning with

sudo parted -l

Or just open gparted… which is a GUI :smiley:

Reboot and enjoy Manjaro :wink: