Whats happen with https://bugs.manjaro.org?

I found this link in a forum post but by following it I landed on the right address but the page content is the same content as on manjaro.org.

So what uses manjaro for bug reporting? Launchpad? Bugzilla? Or something completely new?

1 Like

right now it's

I've to rethink the platform of a bug tracker.

You dont mean this seriously, right?

Under
documentation > manjaro-user-guide > Issues
I found 1 Open issue:

Does this repository need Chinese translation?

which seems to be open since 8 months

Under
Packages > Core > linux419 > Issues
I also found 1 Open issue
which seems to be open since 5 months

I miss any information in this two cases about what the actual status is and what has be done to solve these.

Please excuse me when I ask:

Is this the solution or the problem?

if you have a problem, create a topic here and then if it concerns well manjaro you can create after an issue on gitlab

Do you really dont see the problem?

From my point of view as a support agent in our company and Donator to Manjaro it seems the whole bug handling system and some of the developers behind are buggy.

Even Arch Linux uses a working bug tracking system as it seems(Arch Linux - Bugtracker) powered by Flyspray.

Manjaro is not backed by any company ; developers are very few and work on Manjaro on their spare time.
Thus, for searching and notifying bugs and issues, the primary entry point is the forum.
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/technical-issues-and-assistance

I think various people see the problem. The real question is what solution is to be made.

So suggestions like that are useful. :smile: My experience (browsing as user) of the Arch Linux bugtracker has been very good.

Another that I have some familiarity with (as user) and could recommend as worth consideration is Mantis. I believe that they are both open source projects, see: https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt and https://github.com/Flyspray/flyspray/.

Meanwhile I will keep having fun using Manjaro. :yum:

An answer like this I feared. Especially when the resources are so limited they should be used as economically as possible.

Using the forum for searching and filing bugs makes the forum full but does not really help.

• Its not easy to find a problem
  • Existing Problems will be reported again and again
  • The status and severety of a problem is not always clear.
  • Who are the bughunters, do they did their job before a new release level arrives?
  • Whats the actual sum of open bugs?

Even when there is stated "wont fix" this is a statement.

1 Like

You're making a wrong assumption here.
Most of the issues notified here are not fixed by the Manjaro team. You will find configuration resolutions, workarounds, solutions to individual problems, and references to upstream issues (or be asked to file one if there is none).

The Manjaro team does develop some tools, Manjaro's Gitlab is for those. The rest must be notified to their respective bug trackers.
You wrote about Arch's bug tracker earlier, but what i'm saying apply to them too. If an issue requires to be fixed upstream, they'll close the issue as "won't fix", not because they won't fix it, but because they won't fix it.

As for searching if an issue has already been notified -- and probably solved -- there is a search feature that works very well.
https://forum.manjaro.org/search

2 Likes

The main problem with the now defunc bugtracker is that is was not used for bugtracking but weird requests and questions which should have been asked in the forum.

Next thing - was the bunch of throwaway email addresses - which made it impossible to reply to the requests, mostly non essential - like "thank you" or "you should implement" or "why don't manjaro" and I could go on.

So I am happy it is gone - it was more pain than gain.

@philm
Flyspray and an Archlinux attitude to remove irrelevant entries or poor defined issues without relevant info to back it up.

The selected software should be directed at a technical format and protected agains spammers.

5 Likes

Perhaps a dedicated subforum exclusively for reporting bugs might be a workable interim solution until such time as a dedicated bug tracker is re-established.

Unfortunately, I imagine it would end up being plugged with all manner of flotsam and jetsam. Newbies reporting bugs such as "I can't change my wallpaper" or "apt-get is not working" would be the type of bug reports this thread would receive most often.

Serious bug reports would end up buried in a mountain of posts from inexperienced users who have no idea how Manjaro works. This is simply a fact of life for Manjaro as it caters to first time Linux users. Manjaro is a victim of its own success, as its limited resources can only be stretched so far with a constant stream of newbies.

Arch does not experience this type of problem because the profiency level required to install Arch keeps complete newbies from plugging up their reporting channels. Arch also has dedicated teams to deal with specific issues. Manjaro has a limited pool of developers and they cannot possibly compete with Arch's much larger and longer established pool of resources.

Simply because you contribute financially to Manjaro does not mean you can expect the type of resources devoted to issues like commercial distro's with large budgets and many paid full time developers. Manjaro has only a small group of developers and they do a great job with the limited time they have, but they can't possibly meet everyone's level of expectations. That's just the reality of a community distro developed by volunteers in their spare time who also have real life commitments to attend to.

I volunteer a great amount of time assisting users on the forum as do many others. Personally, I find these kind of complaints from users who have been registered on the forum less than a week quite tedious. Many Manjaro users contribute to the distro either financially or by volunteering their time. The difference is these individuals have no expectations of what Manjaro should do for them, but rather what they can contribute to Manjaro.

10 Likes

So it seems we have a complete different understanding of client service. From my point of view the distributor is responsible for all things he distributes to the client/user. This belongs here not only to the pure Manjaro packages but also to core, extra and maybe community but not for AUR. If the users stays by them it could not be their problem to search the right address for reporting their problem and get assistance. When the distributor is not able to solve it, he should collect the reports and forward them upwards, note this in the bugreport and leave the bug open till fixed.

A sole user has normally not the power to impress the lead developers much. The distributions have far more power.

If you think I am wrong here at Manjaro you are free to suggest a better distribution to me.

yes it is. any time i've had an issue with manjaro or a manjaro specific package that has already been reported I have found it on the forum and added to the existing thread. forum search on Discourse works exceedingly well and if you use DuckDuckGo as a search engine there's a search bang (!manjf) which allows direct search from the browser search box or addressbar.

3 Likes

Please remember that any use of Manjaro is subject to Terms Of Use as found on the Manjaro website

Disclaimer

No warranties, either express or implied, are hereby given for anything provided by Manjaro Linux (“Software”). All software is supplied without any accompanying guarantee, whether expressly mentioned, implied or tacitly assumed. This information does not include any guarantees regarding quality, does not describe any fair marketable quality, and does not make any claims as to quality quarantees or quarantees regarding the suitability for a special purpose. The user assumes all responsibility for damages resulting from the use of the software, including, but not limited to, frustration, disgust, system abends, disk head-crashes, general malfeasance, floods, fires, shark attack, locust infestation, cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, local electromagnetic disruptions, hydraulic brake system failure, invasion, hashing collisions, normal wear and tear of friction surfaces, cosmic radiation, inadvertent destruction of sensitive electronic components, windstorms, the riders of nazgul, infuriated chickens, premature activation of a distant early warning system, peasant uprisings, halitosis, artillery bombardment, explosions, cave-ins, borg-assimilation and/or frogs falling from the sky.

5 Likes

So let me get this straight, you think Manjaro should be the bug tracker, and responsible for reporting all issues upstream for every package installed on all Manjaro editions.

I think you should buy a commercial licence for Red Hat with that level of service expectation. I believe the Red Hat business packages start at about $20,000 a year.

You are mistaking a small community supported distribution for a Billion dollar a year commercial distribution. If you want that level of service I'm sure Red Hat, Suse, or Ubuntu, have a sales person that would be delighted to talk to your business about a licencing arrangement.

Personally I think it is reprehensible that a commercial business uses a distribution developed and supported for free by volunteers and has the nerve to complain about the level of support they are receiving.

Do you provide your business services for free? Yet you have the audacity to come to a purely volunteer developed distribution and complain about its shoddy support practices.

Give your head a shake. How would you like it if your customers had the same expectations from your business, but only gave you a donation here and there for you products and services. Doesn't quite sound so reasonable when it's turned around on you does it.

5 Likes

This is not helpful and brings us no step forwards.

I point out where I see weakness and what I hope to get and you present a Disclaimer which every other software provider also does more or less.

I will contribute to Manjaro but I am not a programmer so my point where I see me is at user support by example maintain the wiki.

The problem is that our suggestion (manjaro should fix all bugs by core, extra and community packages) is not feasable at all.

Manjaro is a small distribution, with a small team (i think about 4-5 core members).
How on earth is a small team like that, suppose to support 20.000 packages in their free time?
All manjaro developers and team members so this on their free time. Most, if not all, have full time jobs and families. Time is limited. Members are limited. So Manjaro support is limited to Manjaro specific packages.

5 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by