What would the Manjaro Community dream about KDE?

kde

No the correlation was LTS, not the specific package.
It was only meant as an example, nothing more.

Oh well, thank GAWD! I thought you were turning senile. :wink:

There is still no correlation between an LTS kernel and an LTS distribution other than the nominative acronym, “LTS.”

I’m gonna tell my mechanic to make sure the work he next performs is “LTS.” :smiley:

regards

No the acronym stands for something. It would be a seperate KDE from the rolling one. Like a frozen at 5.12’ with backports, while everyone else skips along. The LTS usage is on point.

Right now we’re talking apples & oranges.

@philm speaks of an entire Manjaro KDE LTS distribution. OK, right on.

Then @AJSlye asks, well, Arch has an LTS kernel doesn’t it? And the answer yeah, so what?

Since when the e!@#$% has an LTS kernel had a damn thing to do with an LTS distribution other than the acronym?

Sheesh! :smiley:

@c00ter: I spoke only about to add Plasma 5.12 LTS packages additionally to the already existing current Plasma packages. Also I will offer an additional ISO containing those LTS packages of Plasma. Applications, kernel and other packages to make it a Distro is adjustable. Hope this may clear things up. KDE decided to simply support a LTS series for at least 2 years, instead of the normal development cycle of half a year.

No, I’m definitely not going senile.
I was not comparing a kernel lts to a distribution lts, I was comaparing it to the Plasma LTS

Um, duh. :rofl:

Qt is also in LTS?
so, in six months, I might not be able to install some QT software in stable (manjaro-setting, virtualbox,vlc …), nor new qt and kde aur applications?

Manjaro is your baby Phil, so do whatever tickles your fancy with it. Personally, I am extremely happy with the current Manjaro KDE edition. Thank you for listening to user feedback. It is awesome to have a development team that is so responsive to their users wishes. :+1:

Qt has always had LTS releases, you might just not have notice them. :wink:
The first Qt5 LTS release was Qt 5.6 in 2015 due the prior Qt 4.8 LTS release ending it’s support cycle at that years end.

Qt5 releases thus far in 2018:

• Qt 5.9 --> LTS release
  • Qt 5.10 --> normal release
  • Qt 5.11 --> normal release
  • Qt 5.12 --> LTS release
  • Qt 5.13 --> normal release

precisely if we use a plasma LTS v5.12 with a QT LTS 5.12
I may not be able to update some QT programs unless with a plasma LTS 5.12 I can still update QT with another version LTS? I have doubts…
for 2 years, if i want use a program qt 5.13, i can’t
not exist LTS version for virtualbox, vlc …

You wouldn’t neccesarily need to maintain Qt LTS just to have a Plasma LTS release, but it still shouldn’t effect you in the way you think.

Qt uses a major.minor.patch versioning, there is no need.

1. Major releases may break backwards binary and source compatibility, although source compatibility may be maintained.
    (Qt 5.x.x --> Qt 6.x.x)

2. Minor releases are backwards binary and source compatible.
    (Qt 5.12.x --> Qt 5.13.x)

3. Patch releases are both backwards and forwards binary and source compatible.
    (Qt 5.13.0 --> Qt 5.13.1)

I’m sending you a PM now with a hack and slash of AdaptaBreath (desktop theme and colors)

…aw hell, if anyone wants to try a thrown together (dark and light varient) AdaptaBreath for KDE:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=78502397781901070221
…remember it is a work in progress. readme has simple instructions.

(didnt do any of the extras like on my personal … theres still rounded corners and shadows, etc)

Edit:
Kvantum support now added - new link.

Is it just me or KDE Plasma lacks modern themes?

Oh yes, that would be brilliant… yes please :slight_smile:

Blech, wash your mouth out with soap.

Hmm, that sounds vaguely familiar… could you pls explain what that is? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Alternative hypothesis: You are perfectly fine, & it’s Real Life that is defective.

Just yesterday, I re-installed KDE minimal by Manjaro Architect and I really like it.
It’s also my bfirst encounter with Falcon (qupzilla).
If I want a new tend in Plsma, I should ask KDE team, not Manjaro.

• I wish I had widghets always on top.
  • I wish I could contain act buttons on the tab bar as in Chromium for other browsers.
  • I think Manjaro Architect is the best solution and minimal version is a must for all DEs…

What is in KDE minimal and what not? What would I miss when I would install the minimal version?
Nevermind, I found this: Manjaro KDE-minimal 17.1.8
Thanks.

I just know about KDE:
Falcon instead of FireFox
No music player, but only VLC
MS Office online instead of Libre Office
No graphic tool, just Gwenview
Actually a lean version, then you can install whatever you need.

Please no Discover! :stuck_out_tongue:

My biggest wish would be that plasma updates won’t freeze the stable branch for weeks again.

What do you mean by freeze?

If you mean how often it’s updated, then I welcome longer periods between updates, excluding security updates that is. Personally, I’d be happy with a once a month update schedule for the stable branch. When updates come in too quick, it’s more likely for something to be overlooked like dependency mismatches, etc. that could potentially causes major issues.

Now pamac is splitted with a GTK GUI and two dbus daemons. All the work is done by the dbus daemon and the GTK interface is just sending request to the dbus daemon and display infos.
A QT interface could be more easily written now if it uses the dbus daemons.
The bad news is that I have no experience in QT, QML and a little one in C++ but, if someone with the right skills want to work on it, I will good him/her all the help I can.