What type of file system do you recommend to use on a data partition shared between Windows and Linux?

I’m using for 3 years two NTFS partitions as shared storage between Manjaro and Windows10, and it works fine.

The only problem I encounter is when Windows is using fast boot and if it’s abnormally shutdown your partitions will be locked when you boot into Manjaro, which I need to boot into Windows and open both of them via file explorer then reboot my machine to Manjaro.

Which is exactly why we tell dual-booters all the time to disable Fast Boot. :grin:

Windows with fast boot is really fast, and on my laptop (only HDD) it outperforms a normal boot to Manjaro, only resuming from hibernation can reach Windows boot time.

Well, it’s your system, and therefore your responsibility. :man_shrugging:

Fast boot is actually kind of hibernation.

1 Like

Aside:- If faster boot time is your goal (with any OS) consider using an SDD – The inherent performance gains hardly need accolades in 2023. There are easy to follow guides available on the Internet (with a little help from Google) that show varying procedures.

Hmm, that should be ‘SSD’ – Sorry, too much LDS in the 60’s.

1 Like

A manjaro xfce with a service or two at boottime boots for about 16 to 24 seconds here, for a reference how it is with ssd.

Manjaro boots in around 20 seconds for me; minus the 8 second delay in Refind places it on par with your higher end of spectrum. Grub is bypassed. Standard KDE is used.

SSD are a disaster and ticking bomb on any laptop, you will get 3 to 5 years of lifespan with them, while HDD live longer and are much reliable for storing important data for long time.

The same can be said about HDD’s in that every read, write, or spin of the platters is a step closer to its twilight time.

An SSD is still faster; to boot. Cheers.

Not necessarily. You just have to be careful with overheating the laptop and monitor the total written amount with smartctl, respectively take a measure or two to minimize the usage (mainly control the backups, swap wich is hardly used with enough ram and browser cache which can be disabled, and well not use torrents).
An average consumer ssd lasts about 60-70 TB at least, so anybody can do the math for himself and his usage case.

Since Linux supports everything and windows you need to fight with, i would use NTFS

However, if there is any other reason to use anything but NTFS then i would take the pain on windows side and use ext4 driver there.

However i have no experience, so maybe it would be better to just always use ext4 (if the windows ext4 driver is high quality)

From my experience with HDD and SSD, I will never use a laptop with only SSD.

I have a disconnected backup HP pc at home running Windows7 with 2 HDD, and it still has family scanned files and photos saved from 17 years ago.

One assumes you’ve taken steps to backup these treasures. No drive lasts indefinitely. Running chkdsk occasionally on the drive with stored photos is probably a good idea, to discover if any have become corrupted over time. NTFS is a robust enough filesystem for Windows, but it’s not infallible.

chkdsk helps nothing in finding out if things became corrupt over time unless you use a filesystem with checksums (and even then i’m not sure if chkdsk can check it properly by comparing checksum to content)

edit: seems like btrfs scrub should be used on btrfs volumes, for instance

AFAIK chkdsk only deals with superblock, directory structure metadata etc.

@varikonniemi @medmedin

The conversation strayed a little off-topic. We were briefly discussing Windows, and saved photos – considering chkdsk is the goto tool in that environment, it was fair to mention it.

I suppose this chkdsk information was handy in summarising your learned opinion, and it’s a decent resource. Read a little deeper.

For the purpose mentioned, it doesn’t need to compare checksums. Cheers.

OK, I have already solved the execution permissions issue with what you said. The line in /etc/fstab right now has this:

/dev/nvme0n1p7 /home/my_user/Data exfat rw,suid,dev,auto,user,async,exec 0 0

But now I have another problem. The drive is mounted at system startup. The problem is that it seems to be mounting under the root user, because I do not have write permissions to the drive.

However, once I unmount it with my user and remount it via Dolphin, I already get write permissions for my user. Do you know how to solve this to have write permissions from the beginning without having to unmount it even once?

On my system, it takes 11 seconds from pressing Enter at the GRUB menu until sddm appears on my screen. :wink:

The biggest wear to an HDD comes from spinning the drive up and down all the time. Keep the drive spinning 24/7 and it’ll last you a decade.

First of all, why do you need suid on an exfat filesystem? There is absolutely no need for that. Besides, it’s not even supported.

Secondly, include the ownership for your user account in the mount options, like so… :arrow_down:

/dev/nvme0n1p7 /home/my_user/Data exfat uid=1000,gid=1000,nodev,auto,user,async,exec 0 0

You don’t need the rw mount option, given that it’s the default anyway, nor do you need dev — which I’ve changed to nodev in the example above — because you really don’t want to create any device special files on there.

The only place for device special files in any UNIX system is /dev, which in Manjaro is on a devtmpfs and is populated by the kernel at boot time, and maintained by udev at runtime.

Never add mount options that you do not understand. There’s a reason why almost everything in UNIX has a man page. :wink:

1 Like

'Tis a truly rare breed who would put that theory to the test. :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

There was an ext4 reader avalaible at Sysinternals.