Pamac manager does not list package when searching for a file included in that package

I tried to install a game that requiered libssl.so.1.0.0. Searching in pamac-manager for libssl did show three packages, openssl, lib32-openssl and openssl-1.1.
It did however not list openssl-1.0, which included the needed file.
Not even searching for libssl* or libssl.so.1.0.0 does show the right package. (openssl-1.0)
I think there is a problem with the pamac-manager that should be fixed. It should at least show a package if I search for a filename that is included in that package.

I don’t think pamac is that advanced. Use pacman as follows:

pacman -Qo path to file for example:

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6                                  
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 is owned by gcc-libs 12.1.0-1

And while at it, if you search for a favourite ice-cream it should output nearby store which has it?

That works if you already have package installed.
Otherwise you need to use -Fy (to update file database) and -Fx filename.

1 Like

thank you.

Jokes aside, is there a way for him to search for a package that provides a file without having said package installedm that actually provides that file?
eg. Search for a file to be provided by a not-yet installed package.

Yes, I just mentioned it in previous comment.

I’m not using pamac, so I don’t know what GUI searches for. But I can google ‘man pamac’, click on a page, do a ctrl+f and search for word “file” in under a minute:

pamac search [options] <package(s)>

Search for packages or files, multiple search terms can be specified

And after reading this, I still don’t know what does it do in terminal. :smiley: (I guess OP is right, it should find files too. But why does it only say <package(s)>)

Nevermind, you have to actually read what’s in the page…

You can use -f to find what package owns a file, aka pacman -Qo. So useless in this case.

Maybe you needed to update your package database or mirror-list or both? :woman_facepalming:

I said I was searching for the name of the file, not the package. Of yourse searching for openssl will liste openssl-1.0. But searching for libssl.so does not list openssl-1.0

Aha ok, just to make that part clear for the topic :wink:
:+1:

@Kessl, i would suggest you to file an issue for enhancement of the pamac-manager here: :vulcan_salute:

pacman to the rescue:

$ sudo pacman -Fy libssl.so.1.0.0
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
core/openssl-1.0 1.0.2.u-1
    usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0
community/teamspeak3 3.5.6-3
    opt/teamspeak3/libssl.so.1.0.0